Guinea Housing/Coop Gallery

BoogieBug

Songster
Jun 3, 2017
Paulding County (NW) GA
My Coop
My Coop
There are tons of pictures online of chicken coops, chicken tractors, chicken pens, etc., but very few of guinea "housing." I realize guineas like to roost in trees and nest on the ground, but for those who keep their guineas cooped up at night, I'd love to see what others have come up with.

As a newbie Guinea keeper, my keets are currently in a Kohl's box but it is clearly time to transition them to something more appropriate. I didn't expect them to start flying at 1 week of age!!!
ohmysmilie.gif
Below is the Kohl's Keet Resort :lol: that my guineas are in temporarily. I might add that we have a very bold barred owl that hangs out in our trees, and a very fat resident racoon, so I'm hesitant to put the keets outside yet. I know we will need to build Fort Knox to keep the predators out.

What do others use for the transition from brooder to free ranging? Please post your pics. Thanks!!
thumbupsmilie.gif

2017-06-07-BrooderBox.jpg 2017-06-07-BrooderBoxInterior.jpg

My guineas sleep on a 2x4 that is 6' up in my run and has cattle panel covered in a tarp arched over it. They are safe and secure but still get to enjoy the night time air like they like to lol. They used to sleep in the coop but I needed to move some chickens in there and they are mean to the chickens at bed time so I kicked them out.

My guineas sleep on a 2x4 that is 6' up in my run and has cattle panel covered in a tarp arched over it. They are safe and secure but still get to enjoy the night time air like they like to lol. They used to sleep in the coop but I needed to move some chickens in there and they are mean to the chickens at bed time so I kicked them out.
lol. That's funny. Sounds easy enough!! Do you have any pics?

Thank you for posting the pics. What I had pictured in my mind was nothing like this. I like it!! Nice and roomy and seems quite secure! :thumbsup

Thanks, it is. My run originally was just that 10x10 area but has grown to about 30x30 since then. It is all chain link with chicken wire running up the sides and 2-3' out in a skirt, staked down and then all the grass has grown up through it. Over the chain link and chicken wire it is covered in wood lattice to make it look nicer from the street, make the birds less obvious to predators in the distance, and add an extra layer to the fencing. Over the top I have extra heavy duty knotted netting.

The roosts were originally for my turkeys and the guineas slept in that green coop but I had to get rid of the turkeys because of my husband and I needed the extra coop space. The guineas wanted to sleep in the trees but they can't go a week without being maimed by a fox or owl and I think they are happy with the compromise. I would love to cover it in brush and make it more natural looking and I think they would like that too.

I built my guinea's coop inside an old corn crib. Its about 6x5' and maybe 10' tall. I used chicken wire and tin to predator proof the entire thing (it wasnt quite finished in the pic). I put several roosts at varying heights and a shelf for them to hang out on. The shelf is above the feeder and also blocks their poo from landing in feed trough. They have a door that leads to a small outdoor run, which we only used while "training" them. They are now free range all day and I lock them into coop at night.

For my keets (which I hope start hatching on Monday), i have a crate box that I turned into a brooder and then have a "teenager" box for once they are 2 weeks old that offers more space and I can attach a little outside run for them to check out the yard .
Guinea1.jpg

Guinea2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom