guinea housing

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kinnip, Aug 3, 2008.

1. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I just brought home my first guineas and I have a few more being incubated. I need to know how many sq. ft. are needed per guinea for night time housing. I know some may decide to roost in the trees, but I'd like to give them the choice. The weather here is relatively mild year round though it is quite hot in the summer. I don't think they need anywhere to stay for prolonged periods, just to bed down.

2. kinnip

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Just bumping this up, so I can get an answer, Pleeeease.

3. carugoman

carugoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    NW FL Crestview
    Ever since my "goony" birds were day-old pips, I've housed them with my regular flock; in the big coop. In fact, some of the chickens act like the guineas until it's flying time. After two months the goonies are still in the coop at dusk and raise a ruckus at 0450; which is the time the roosters start their choral practice! I find that the simplest way is fine with the birds,we humans have silly pride wired into our brains and have to complicate things.

4. kinnip

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Thanks. I'd love to keep them with the chickens, but I'm running out of room rapidly. I figured it'd be easier to separate the new guineas, as opposed to segregating the chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by