Guinea keet needs leg brace!

symrae

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 19, 2016
I have some 4 week old keets. One of the smaller ones went straddle legged and I have been trying several different ways to brace it but nothing is working. The leg is almost completely turned backwards. He gets around fairly well but I have him separated from all but one other keet I don't know what else to do. He will never be able to roost. Does anyone have any ideas for braces or anything that may help?

I have some 4 week old keets. One of the smaller ones went straddle legged and I have been trying several different ways to brace it but nothing is working. The leg is almost completely turned backwards. He gets around fairly well but I have him separated from all but one other keet I don't know what else to do. He will never be able to roost. Does anyone have any ideas for braces or anything that may help?
That sounds more like a slipped tendon than splayed leg. The methods used to deal with splay leg will not work with a slipped tendon. A slipped tendon has to be manually put back in place and then secured.

Do a search in the Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures forum for slipped tendon treatments. It is the same treatment whether it is a chicken, guinea or turkey.

Good luck.

Last edited:
That sounds more like a slipped tendon than splayed leg. The methods used to deal with splat leg will not work with a slipped tendon. A slipped tendon has to be manually put back in place and then secured.

Do a search in the Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures forum for slipped tendon treatments. It is the same treatment whether it is a chicken, guinea or turkey.

Good luck.

Thanks! I think your right. I started manipulating it slightly and I can feel it pop. I hope I haven't let it go too long.
That sounds more like a slipped tendon than splayed leg. The methods used to deal with splat leg will not work with a slipped tendon. A slipped tendon has to be manually put back in place and then secured.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom