1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Guinea keet piped yesterday 4 days early what should I do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Groceryjunkie, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Groceryjunkie

Groceryjunkie Out Of The Brooder

The temp is right at 100 and the humidity is good too. There is a hole to the atmosphere and there is movement, I believe it is beak and maybe some hair. Like I said it piped 4 days early yesterday and that is all that has happened just the one piece of egg flaked off and a hole in the membrane, but no sound.
    If I whistle at it there is more movement. Should I intervene and help it out or what?
    This is only our 2nd hatch so not very experienced.

2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Guineas go 26-28 days, maybe you thought they were 30, and they are right on time?

3. Groceryjunkie

The 11th of this month will be day 28 so it piped on day 23.

4. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    OK, sometimes I get confused, maybe getting old...?
    The only thing I would do is maybe put a warm, wet papertowel over the egg so it doesn't dry out and shrinkwrap.
    Make sure he can breathe, and don't drown him. If the eggs came from a broody guinea, some may have started incubating early.

5. Cherstin

Cherstin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    North Port, FL
    Where and how did you come about getting your eggs? Did you candle them from the beginning? It sounds like this one was further developed than you initially thought when you started incubation. It's definitely possible, depending on where you got your eggs, temperature, humidity, etc.

I also am beginning to think, and this is only speculation, haven't read it anywhere, that incubators may be much more "efficient" than mother nature. A hen is not on her eggs 24/7, yet our incubators are. Early hatches are common, although 4 days might be a little extreme to just chalk up to a good incubator. I'm curious to know about your eggs and what else you have in there besides the one guinea keet ... I hope everything works out with the rest of them, too! [​IMG]

6. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    It could take it a bit to decide to come on out. Do what stoopid suggests with the damp paper towel and be prepared to find a worm cause you just might have an early bird. So far every batch of chickens I have hatched out has this one sucker that decides to put in an appearance 2-3 days early. The last one literally hatched out in my hand while I was moving them from the turner to the hatcher. No outer pipping noted at all on it. I picked it up out of the turner, moved it over to the hatcher, and still had fingers on it when the cap blew off and it came on out.

7. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    are 100% sure its a guinea egg? maybe its a late bloomer chick?

8. Groceryjunkie

Cherstin just might be right and these eggs could have been 3-4 days old before they went in the incubator. I guess I will wrap it in a wet paper towel but I REALLY want to pick some shell off [​IMG]

9. Groceryjunkie

It didnt look like it was even trying to zip the shell only stick its beak in the hole for some air, so I just couldn't leave well enough alone and with a pair of tweezers I helped "unzip" the shell enough so it was loose and put it back in the bator last night. Hopefully it will push itself on out when it is ready![​IMG]

10. Cherstin

Cherstin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    North Port, FL
    Keep us posted! [​IMG] Is there still a lot of movement in there when you whistle? If you can see the membrane, does it still look wet enough to push through? I'm on pins and needles over here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by