Guinea Keets and Brooders?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KadeSilkies21, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Traditional Heat Lamp/Light

100.0%
  2. Ceramic Heat Bulb

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Infared Heat Bulb

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other... (Comment Below)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. KadeSilkies21

KadeSilkies21 In the Brooder

Jul 13, 2017
    HI everyone, we've been keeping chickens of different breeds for a while now and recently i bought an incubator. Soon after, our guinea fowl hen started to lay a big batch of eggs! I stocked up the incubator with the eggs as well as other guinea eggs from our friends. Anyway, I've candled them and plenty are due to hatch very soon. I am new to raising guinea keets and I am wondering about the general brooder setup for them as well as the best heat lamps to use? There are about 15 eggs. Any info about the temperature, wattage of heat lamps or general keeping info is appreciated.

Hybridchucks and blackdust951 like this.

2. Hybridchucks

Hybridchucks Free Ranging

Jul 13, 2016
    UK
    My Coop
  3. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Free Ranging

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Keets are raised pretty much just like chicks. At first you want the brooder to be kept at 95°F, and as they get older and feather more the temperature can go down, about 5 degrees a week. I usually use a 70 watt incandescent light bulb, but keeping a thermometer in there to make sure that whatever you use is giving enough heat is really good. Keets are smaller than chicks, so do make sure they can't drown in their water. As for food, they need more protein, so a gamebird feed is best. If all you can get is chick starter, it will work, but they will grow more slowly.

Hope your hatch goes well!

4. KadeSilkies21

KadeSilkies21 In the Brooder

Jul 13, 2017
    Awesome thanks!

blackdust951 and Hybridchucks like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by