guinea keets born a couple days ago-lots died

Cynth

Songster
8 Years
Apr 13, 2011
Lyman, Maine
Mama brought home 8 keets yesterday. We put her and babies in our brooder box and today 5 are dead. I raised 15 keets this spring and didn't lose one. I am so sad. And confused. It is Maine so I am assuming they are too cold to live here in the fall. I didnt put a light because I didn"t want mama too hot and leaving babies as she was keepig them warm. I think the water is just too cold. I let them back out to roam with the understanding they will probably die. They were all so darling. I am just so sad and knew you would all understand my sadness.

She may have trampled them if she was upset about being in the brooder... and if she was up pacing then the keets probably did get chilled. Cold water to drink may have exacerbated the chilling, but it's hard to say or guess what actually happened to them.

Sorry for your losses. Hope the rest make it. Momma may do ok with just 3 to look after and keep warm.
fl.gif

ETA: Don't beat yourself up, you thought you were doing the right thing and putting them somewhere safe! Many of us would have done the same thing
hugs.gif

Last edited:
well some died out of the brooder because they foud a way out, She was laying on them all night. Hubby and I are kicking ourselves for not taking them all away from her (I hate doing that) and keeping them in the small brooder alone. Next spring we will have lots more. It was just sad because I love my poultry.

Sorry to read about this sad event. I can fully understand your frustration, but as long as we do what we think is best at the time and learn, then we must not be too hard on ourselves. Animals and birds die for many reasons - if only they could talk and let us know.
I have just started to keep 8 guinea fowl, they are so charming and interesting, so we all know how you feel.
Chins up ( I have a double chin! and enjoy and cherish what you have. Next year will be another story :)
Mike

I know how you feel I tried to get one more hatch out of my guineas this year and set about 20 eggs. About 15 hatched, but all of them came out very week and even some had crooked legs and other things like that. I feel like I know what I'm doing cause I had pretty good success this year. If anybody has any ideas on the problem, or whether something is wrong when it gets colder I would sure like to know

I know how you feel I tried to get one more hatch out of my guineas this year and set about 20 eggs. About 15 hatched, but all of them came out very week and even some had crooked legs and other things like that. I feel like I know what I'm doing cause I had pretty good success this year. If anybody has any ideas on the problem, or whether something is wrong when it gets colder I would sure like to know
What kind of incubator did you use and what were the temp and humidity during incubation and for the lock-down? Did the incubator stay stable or did the temp and humidity fluctuate a lot? Did you double check your readings with a 2nd Thermometer/Hygrometer? (I never trust just one). Was the incubator well sanitized before you set the eggs? Did you hand turn them regularly at least 3 times a day until lock-down? There's several incubator related things that can cause a poor hatch/un-hearty keets, but usually it's due to incorrect/unstable settings, or bacterial contamination of the eggs or incubator...

Also, I've found with my flocks that late season hatches just aren't as hearty as Spring/Summer hatches, and that the seasonal changing diet of the parent birds can play a huge role in the health and heartiness of keets... if they are not getting adequate nutrition it can cause deficiencies, deformities, leg issues etc in the hatch.

One other thing that can contribute to leg issues and weak keets is too much inbreeding within the flock... so you may want to bring in some new unrelated birds for next year if you suspect that to be an issue.

Sorry for such a disappointing hatch, hopefully you figure out what went wrong and things go better for you next Spring.

What kind of incubator did you use and what were the temp and humidity during incubation and for the lock-down? Did the incubator stay stable or did the temp and humidity fluctuate a lot? Did you double check your readings with a 2nd Thermometer/Hygrometer? (I never trust just one). Was the incubator well sanitized before you set the eggs? Did you hand turn them regularly at least 3 times a day until lock-down? There's several incubator related things that can cause a poor hatch/un-hearty keets, but usually it's due to incorrect/unstable settings, or bacterial contamination of the eggs or incubator...

Also, I've found with my flocks that late season hatches just aren't as hearty as Spring/Summer hatches, and that the seasonal changing diet of the parent birds can play a huge role in the health and heartiness of keets... if they are not getting adequate nutrition it can cause deficiencies, deformities, leg issues etc in the hatch.

One other thing that can contribute to leg issues and weak keets is too much inbreeding within the flock... so you may want to bring in some new unrelated birds for next year if you suspect that to be an issue.

Sorry for such a disappointing hatch, hopefully you figure out what went wrong and things go better for you next Spring.
Hey I appreciate all of that. My incubator is a GQF Cabinet and I completely agree with you about the second hygrometer/thermometer. I actually bought a weather sensor that you can put a sensor outside and see what the temperature and humidity, but I put it inside my incubator and I can see the temp/humidity levels from my favorite chair. A great idea though about bringing some new birds in for next year. I havent considered that as a possibility. Thanks again for your ideas.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom