Guinea keets or chicks first

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Cherokee_Chick, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Cherokee_Chick

Cherokee_Chick New Egg

Mar 3, 2009
    I'm going to get both Guinea keets and chicks eventually for my first Chicken adventure. I've read Gardening with Guineas and various Chicken Raising books so I can learn all I can.

They will be free ranging during the day, then together in a 10 x 20 coop at night.

My question is should I buy my Guinea keets first and raise them to egg laying age, or should I buy my baby chicks first and then get Guineas keets later. Or can I do both (in separate brooders)? Or does it matter?

I can hardly wait to stick my foot in the water (or maybe the chicken poop) :)

2. Tn Gamebirds

Tn Gamebirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Might as well get both. You got to feed one , might as well feed both while your out there!!!

3. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    Both [​IMG]
    All funny aside I would get them both at once.

4. chicken parm

chicken parm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2008
    delaware
    I've had both, guineas are great flyers even at a young age. they are messier than chicks don't raise together for health reasons. also be prepared for how loud they can get, neigbors won't care for them. they are fun to watch around the yard.

5. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    get them both and raise them together, so they will know each other, you will have a harder time putting them together at a latter date. Mine were hatched and raised together, and I have had no problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by