guinea keets with a momma chicken? well im having a problem!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chad the Chicken Man, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Chad the Chicken Man

Chad the Chicken Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Belleville, WI
    My barnevelder was sitting on 6 eggs and only 1 hatched. so I found a lady on craigslist that had guinea keets and easter eggers for sale. So I picked up 1 easter egger and 2 guinea keets. the mom took in the baby chick right away but seems to not wanna take in the keets. if mom is laying down I can put the keets under her and everything is fine they can even walk around her and its fine. But as soon as she get up to eat or drink. the keets kinda freak out and run crazy and the hen doesnt like it and chases them and tries to peck the keets, sometime really hard. I just got them yesterday and im hoping maybe the keets calm down a little bit but for the mean time I put a box with holes in it so if the hen trys pecking the keets they can run in there. My question is over time of me putting the keet under her at night, will they all get along and will mom raise them? I placed the keets under her last night and they were still all together this morning... it seems the keets have calmed down but by just a little. any help would be great.
    Thanks
    Chad

2. Chad the Chicken Man

Jul 22, 2009
    Belleville, WI
    I know its during the day, but any help would be great. I dont know if this should be in the guinea section or not.

3. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    She may just not be a good mother or she can tell that they aren't chicks. Has your chickie mama raised chicks before?

I had an EE that set really well but only 2 of her chicks survived so I bought her some more- she killed 3 of them before I realized what was happening. She really hated the little polish chicks and would peck them really hard if they came near her. I ended up taking them all from her and putting them with a broody silkie and the silkie raised them all. to get more responses you might post this one of the broody threads?

like this one-
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=457488

4. Chad the Chicken Man

Jul 22, 2009
    Belleville, WI
    This is her first time raising chicks. shes is taking awesome care of the two chicken chicks, she feeds them and show them around. but the keets shes just not sure about.

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    How did you introduce the chicks to her? Like, did you just put them in the cage during the day when everyone was awake, or did you put them under her at night? I like to do that type of intoduction at night. When its dark I just lift the broody and put the chicks under her. She wakes up in the morning completely oblivious. At least my good broody does. She'll raise any baby you give her, this year the odd man out was a gosling. Now my EE, she will absolutely NOT except any chick she didn't sit on and hatch herself. Good luck- guineas are crazy!

6. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Well maybe she can tell a difference between the keets and the chicks. So are the keets acting like she is their mom or are they also running away and acting scared of her, if so then maybe they have also not accepted her as their mom, if that is the case then I would take them away, b/c I doubt they will ever really accept each other.

7. Chad the Chicken Man

Jul 22, 2009
    Belleville, WI
    the keets really want to be with the mom when shes laying down the go and crawl right under her. and only problem is when she gets up them the keets get all skidish and run crazy, and i think that set off mom because she thinks something attacking her chicks. i went home at lunch and thing are alot better, but there is still the occasional pick on the head, and then the keets run to there box. so im homes it just keeps getting better each day...

8. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Quote:Oh, good if they think she is their mom and she cools down on attacking the keets, things should go smoothly.

9. Chad the Chicken Man

Jul 22, 2009
    Belleville, WI
    I have an update, the momma accepted the guinea keets and everything is going great. it was slowly but surely getting better, and when i got home from work yesterday momma was feeding them and everything. im so happy that everything worked out, i wasnt looking forward to raising the keets separately and then having to re introduce them.

10. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by