1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Guinea: Listless, swollen throat (not crop)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by EquestrianGal, Nov 11, 2011.

1. EquestrianGal

EquestrianGal Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    My guinea hen is sick. She is about 4 months old. I have had her on antibiotics under a heat lamp for several days (she can get away from the heat lamp, but she generally sits right next to it. She is eating and drinking less--I don't think she has eaten at all today.

Mostly it has just been listlessness and ruffled feathers. Occasionally she will do this wear stretching thing with her neck (extend it out, tuck it back in, extend it out, bring it back in). But today, her neck is swollen, right up near her head, on either side, almost like where lymph glands would be in a human.

Is there anything else I can do? I don't know what is wrong with her. Her two siblings and the other hen all seem fine.

If she dies, I am going to call the extension office and see if they want to do a necropsy to figure out the disease (she isn't the first guinea to get sick here, although none particularly recently, none ever had the swollen neck, and all my chickens are fine). Guineas and chickens are housed together, so it is either something different in their diet (they all freerange during the day) or something that chickens aren't affected by.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by