guinea lost foot...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lovemelovemybirds, Aug 27, 2010.

1. lovemelovemybirds

lovemelovemybirds Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2010
    Grand Junction
    I posted in " guineas" but received no response about thoughts on the exposed bone...that post is still there.... I let a guinea hen out of a confinement pen 10 days after we found her leg broken and hanging by a muscle layer.. and then cut off her dangling foot...she is with the general population since last night. she roosted with them on one leg last night..wondering about the bone..if we should try to put some sort of cap on it or whatever...i thought about culling her..but she survived the shock and is so far infection free...anyhoo...

2. User66184

User66184 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    East Coast, Virgina
    Sorry For Your Guinea! [​IMG]

3. lovemelovemybirds

Apr 28, 2010
    Grand Junction
    Why thank you!! She is just so resilient I really don't want to put her down....but if the exposed bone is causing her pain..just don't really know what to do. Didn't expect her to last this long? and since she has...I feel obligated to help her.

4. User66184

User66184 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    East Coast, Virgina
    If i feel my chicken(s) are Suffering from pain..I think its best to cull them, but mabe if you just, Wrap a band-aid around it, mabe it'll get better!

5. lovemelovemybirds

Apr 28, 2010
    Grand Junction
    A Band Aid!! At least that would protect it some from the rough ground for when she does use it huh!!?? I know I really should cull her...but she is so happy acting....

6. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    Can you get a vet involved? With exposed bone, she needs systemic antibiotics and pain meds. Ideally the bone gets trimmed back to healthy living bone and the end covered with healthy tissue- same if this was a cat's tail or a dog's toe.....
    It may eventually heal on it's own, it may not. It will heal faster and better if it can be surgically closed. If she survives the next few weeks, no matter what you do right now- long term what you have to keep an eye out for is ulcers or bumble foot on the GOOD side. They are not meant to put all of their weight on one foot all of the time. If she has a favorite roost area, I would pad it to protect the good foot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by