1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Guinea Noise...Sound Recording for Those Asking about Noise

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by speckledhen, Apr 17, 2010.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Take a listen to this...turn up your sound, too! The first one that sounds like "Come back! Come back!" is the female.

http://zar.co.za/sounds/guinea.htm

Yup, and they do that more constantly just before breeding age. Later, they seem to mature a bit.

2. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Guinea "noise"? It is MUSIC!

The first one sounds like it is whistling "come back". My females say it as more of a throaty vocalization rather than a whistle.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I don't mind guinea song myself, but so many ask if they're really loud. It isn't that they are so loud, but so constant when they get started.

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Nothing sneaks up on a flock of guineas. And I do mean nothing. Including nothing. They never shut up! I'll take a flock of roosters any day.

And they all have a death wish to be run over by cars.

If they're not near the house and off the road they can be fun to watch though.

.....Alan.

5. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    I want guineas but I live close to neighbors and I dont think they would appreciate it. I think they are so funny and cute (the guineas not the neighbors lol). Anybody want sone neighbors [​IMG] ?

6. bacres

bacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    East Pennsylvania
    Are guineas or peacocks louder.

7. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

A.T. Hagan :

Nothing sneaks up on a flock of guineas. And I do mean nothing. Including nothing. They never shut up! I'll take a flock of roosters any day.

And they all have a death wish to be run over by cars.

If they're not near the house and off the road they can be fun to watch though.

.....Alan.

OMG yes, they are totally unafraid of cars. The phrase "go play in traffic" goes right over their little pointy heads, bless them!​

8. J3172

J3172 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Michigan
    peacocks I would say have a louder call but do it less often then guineas. I had a friend that had guineas and coyotes were always sneaking up and eating them. I also think the guineas call is like music.

9. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

A.T. Hagan :

My neighbor who is complaining about my roosters, has gotten animal control to tell me to get rid of ALL my chickens. I figured I might replace them with a flock of guinies for payback, but the ordinance being cited lists "other fowl" so I guess guinies are out of the question too. Darnit!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by