guinea noises, male or female

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by birdbrain5, Sep 22, 2010.

1. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    I read that its nearly impossible to know the sex of a guinea until they are adult and you can tell by the noise they make. The males make a one sylable "chi-chi-chi" sound, and the females make a two sylable "buck-wheat, buck-wheat" sound. I got 3 keets a month or so ago, and two were a week or two old, and one was only a week old. They all seemed to make the same baby chirping noises, that kind of sounded like the "chi-chi" sound. I noticed yesterday the two oldest guineas were making a two sylable noise that sounded kind of like "buck-wheat" and the youngest guinea was making the one sylable noise. Are they old enough to be able to tell by the noises they are making now? Or at least with the two older ones making the two sylable can I assume they are females? Thanks

2. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I am only a first time guinea owner but mine started buckwheating about 8 weeks old, I think. Someone more knowledgeable than I will respond, but I think only females make any two syllable calls! (if that's true, I have at least 5 females in my batch of 17, probably more). I hear buckwheat all day!

3. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    You can be fairly confident the two older ones are females. Even if the youngest doesn't make the same vocals at the same age does not rule it out as female. I had one that didn't tell me until it was six months old.

4. cletus the rooster

cletus the rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

the first time i raised guineas it was so hard to tell with them all making noise together but this time i had one hatch with a chick and its only 2wks old now and is making the buck wheat sound already im hoping its a girl lol i also have a grown guinea that is about 1yr old and i havent figured out if it is girl or a boy he/she did not lay eggs this year like its sister and its small like its sister and the boys seem to like he/she but no buckwheat sound just the alarm call its a mystery lol i think i may never know

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by