1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Guinea pics 16 days old

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by wren, Jul 19, 2007.

1. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    They are doing quite well in the new brooder. Boy do they hate change though. They have a lot of fun running and flapping their wings! They can fly about 3 ft high without crashing into things now. They still eat out of my hand but I don't pick them up as much. Their feather pattern is so delicate. They still have the fuzzy heads!

I put some moistened shredded hay in the feeder they aren't sure about it.
    [​IMG]

They love D.E! I mixed a little dry dirt with it. They dust in it just like the big birds do.
    [​IMG]

2. joanm

joanm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2007
    They are so cute! I wish I had room for guineas.

3. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Adorable,,,they look nothing like when they mature huh??? How many did you get??

4. Motherhenandflock

Motherhenandflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho
    They are so cute!
    I was going to order 15 this morning but Meyer Hatchery computers were down.

How many do you have? Did you get them from a hatchery or feed store?

5. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    I ordered 30 and received 31 from murray mcmurray. Thirty is a lot to work with if you want them to be tame. I've heard that you can expect to lose about half within the first year and I thought that 15 would be about right. I ordered pearls thinking that they could hide better from predators and I like the poka dots but now I wish I had purples. Not one pastey hiney in the bunch. They are more solidly built but smaller than chicks and are very in touch with the wild side.

Motherhen- if I can be of any help do not hesitate.

JoanM-They only weigh 3-4 pounds as adults, there's always room for more right?

6. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    You must have good taste, first you have buckeyes, now guinneas too. I have a dozen and once they start loosing thier FLUFF they get ugly and load quick. My kidds call them the car alarms when they start yelling. I got mine in may with some EE chicks they were smaller to start with but they have caught up and passed the chicks in size. I dont think you can get them to be tame. I tried they will sit on my leg and eat Millet and scratch, and while they are eating they will let you touch them but once the food is gone so are they. Dont have any pics of these I am still on dial up and it took almost an hour for 9 pics to load to photobucket.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by