Guinea pics & they went outside today!

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by wren, Sep 8, 2007.

1. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    After being free to go into the run for over a MONTH, my "goonies" have decided to explore the great outdoors! Well... kind of anyway, they left the coup and went into the attached run. GASP! [​IMG] I'm a proud mom. They grouped together and slowly toured the area, ate BOSS, and dusted. It was so cute. [​IMG] I herded them back in after awhile so that they could get a drink and relax. Well, as much as they can anyway. [​IMG]

Here they are wondering what I'm doing. The brownish spots are old unmolted chick feathering.
    [​IMG]

Looking for sunflowers seeds and fresh clover.
    [​IMG]

Settling in for naps. The white stuff is DE.
    [​IMG]

2. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I think you will have good luck with your guineas returning to their coop each night now. Mine did the same thing, they were scared to leave the safety of their "coop" which is a large cage within a dog pen. Now mine either go back in on their own way before the chickens go to roost or they follow me to their pen now. They were always terrified of me as keets but now run to me when they see me come outside or follow me around the yard. Key is to keep them in their coop for a very long time to begin with. Good luck and your birds are neat!

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Beautiful birds, but i have a silly question. Why does one have guinea hens? Do they lay eggs? i recall from my childhood, my aunt had guineas on her farm. All i remember is that they all flew up into the trees at dusk and made a lot of noise. But i know nothing more about them. i apologize for my ignorance on the subject.

4. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Hi, yes, they do lay eggs but the purpose of guineas...they will eat all the ticks, bad insects and weed seed heads in your yard. If kept closed up for weeks after being hatched they will stay home. If not and you release them too soon whether they be keets or adults you will most likely lose them...like I did twice. I had to learn the hard way. They will also screech out an alarm when anyone or anything comes into your yard. I just read, on another post, that the eggs are good to eat. I have not eaten any. they do not lay daily like a chicken.

5. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Let me clarify the comment that they do not lay daily, they do during their laying season. Guineas are very picky about when they lay, usually March through October. During the laying period they make up for lost time.

6. erinm

erinm Posting For A change

Feb 24, 2007
    Central Massachusetts
    I have two guineas and 10 chickens and let me say I have not found one tick on my dogs this year!!!!! The mosquitos seem to be down a bit also. The town passed spraying in our area and I had to tell them. You are not spraying my yard. Don't want the crap on my kids or my birds. My birds do a good enough job and i use organic repellent on the kids. Good reasons for chickens AND guineas! ErinM

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I have to agree with them being good bug/tick eaters......when my friends are griping about the grasshoppers eating their flowers and garden stuff and I'm not having that problem I remind them they need to get some guineas.

I had to laugh when I read about your "goonies". When one of my grandsons was small that's what he always called them. It was his mission in life one summer to trap a goonie in an empty dog kennel.

8. wren

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Thanks everybody for your great comments and interest! I was almost going to stop posting pics b/c they arent babies anymore. I have 30 rouge guineas in my band. I had no idea that they would choose to stay in the coop for so long! Speckled Hen said to let them go out when they are ready, and its working well so far. I can't wait to see them out chasing bugs.

They return to their coop at night really well- although I have about 5 that are roosting above the coop! I thought about getting on a ladder to get them down but I'm going to just let them be. Doves survive the winter here in Iowa so I hope they will. Maybe they will realize that the coop is warmer once I get the heat lights going in the winter. I'll put them in when it gets below freezing for awhile then maybe they will learn. Sigh.

Ozark Hen said it WELL, "...on their own way..." [​IMG] They are so different than chickens and follow rules that I don't understand and maybe never will. A few things I've learned is that they aren't only loud when they see something strange-they also make noise when the group is on the move, or switching to a different activity and to find eachother. They make the most lovely trill when they are happy, about to get treats, when settling in for the night and when they want my attention. I wish that all bird lovers could hear it in person. They love it when I talk to them even if it's loudly. They have the prettiest pokadotted feathers I've ever seen. They are hyper sensitive to any visual stimulus especially movement. They hate changes in their environment-even small ones. I have no flies where the guineas are. Guineas love to dust bathe. They love to roost high at night but low during the day. They will allow chickens to move them around but not hurt them. Most importantly if you don't have a well developed sense of humour and patience guineas are not for you.

As far as the reason why guineas? Sometimes I wonder myself, when I'm cleaning the coop and they are buck wheating at me. By the way, did you know that they can make a noise far louder than the buck-wheat? One that makes your ears ring? Yep, from day one. Wow. Not fun. I sang to them to get them to stop and they went to sleep. Later, I used a radio. They love noise. I look at the big picture. I want them to eat bugs and weed seeds. But mostly I fell in love with the idea of watching them rove around the property doing all the things birds do. I love seeing birds out and about. Of course mine haven't left the coop yet and it's fall already, but they will. Someday. [​IMG]

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I wouldn't worry about them roosting outside. Mine quit going into the shed years ago and roost in trees year round. They've survived blizzards, ice storms and minus zero with seemingly no ill effects. They do change the kind of tree they roost in according to the time of year....cedar evergreens in the winter and elms in the summer.

10. wren

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Well that's a relief![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by