1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

guinea pig broke his teeth off

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by barg, May 16, 2007.

1. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    I wasnt sure if i was supposed to post this in Other Pets topic, but this seems to qualify as an emergency.

As all "pigs" he chews to grind his theeth down but yesterday there was something hanging from his mouth fur.
    He had knocked off too much of his upper teeth.
    He wont let me look at the extent of this but i can see there is very little or nothing left, I gave him celeray and all he could do was gum it.

I realise this is a chicken forum but I dont belong to a guinea pig forum and I thought maybe someone here might know.

Will he grow them back? How quickly?
    Ive given him some finely chopped carrots apples and celery for now, I'm not sure what to do with him as far as feeding for the future. He normally gets pellets and timothy hay.
    Thanks.. hope theres a guinea pig expert out there.

Last edited: May 16, 2007
  2. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    The teeth will grow back but it might take a while. You need to take the pig to the vet and have its teeth clipped off evenly so they grow back correctly. You can try it yourself with nail clippers but its a lot easier if you have the vet do it. Rabbit or guinea breeders should also be able to do this for you if you happen to know one. In the mean time I would offer gatorade in the water (50/50). The flavor encourages guinea pigs to rink and it gives them a little extra boost wth the sugar and electrolytes. He should be able to eat ok since he will use his molars to grind the food. You should offer food diced so that he can eat more easily. You can continue with the hay but make sure it is chopped so he doesn't choke. Good luck!

3. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
  4. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I forgot to mention this. Make sure your guinea pigs recieve vitamin C drops in their water. Guineas, like humans do not make their oen vitamin C. Vitamin C is important in bone/tooth growth because it aids in the production of collagen which makes up a large portion of of the bones and teeth. Adding vitamins to the water also provides calcium. This should help make the teeth grow back faster and stronger.

5. barg

Apr 27, 2007
    Thanks for the info.
    I should clearify, he normally gets pellets timothy hay and large peices of apples celery and carrots..... dont want anyone to get the wrong impression and think I dont treat my pig right by just offering pellets [​IMG]

Anyway... so im clear, you say he should be able to eat the pellets ok with his molars?

He seems fine otherwise, In fact he didnt seem botherd by the whole thing. I really just dont want him to starve to death. I think wev'e had him for 4 or 5 years now, never had any health issues with him. He was adopted from the local "dog pound"
    Maybe this is the first sign that he's getting to be an Older Pig, or maybe its a freak accident...

Anyway, thanks again.

6. barg

Apr 27, 2007
    you posted a followup while i was in the middle of one haha, yeah, he wont eat any citris fruit, he doesnt like it.
    Maybe thats the problem.

7. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    We just got two guinea pigs a few weeks ago (husband says their for the grandkids, yeah right) They won't eat fruit at all We get them Wild Harvet guinea pig blend it is made with ester C so they are gettiing their vitamin C We get it at Walmart. They have all kinds of treats for the babies.

8. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

This works for my bunnies, Grate some apple and carrot and whatever other food/fruit he likes.
    I wish you both the best of luck, hope he gets better soon.
    Helen

9. fowlweatherfriends

fowlweatherfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    The Sunny South
    Applesauce-my guinea pigs love it, and easy to get down without chewing [​IMG]

10. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    This happened to our guinea pig as well. For a few days I had to grind up all of her veggies, but now she's eating fine (She pushes the veggies under her chin, and mostly uses her bottom teeth I think). She didn't have a problem eating her pellets even after it happened, and she has not avoided her water at all, nor has she lost any weight.

-Meghan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by