guinea pigs pics

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by miss heny, Aug 1, 2010.

1. miss heny

miss heny Genetic Expert in learning Premium Member

i would like to see pics of guinea pigs! i am gonig to get 2 soon, so i want to see what each breed of them look like.

2. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    I would love to see cage set-ups for guinea pigs. How do you keep them from dumping the food bowl? Our Shadow wastes so much food this way. Thanks!

3. miss heny

Quote:i do not know XD i am gonig to very new to this like i am with parakeets

4. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    Thoroughly enjoyed our guinea pigs (none now). We always used a feeder that attached to side of the cage (like rabbits). Prevents a lot of waste. Also, bought 4 inch PVC and made short tunnels for them. They loved to hide in them and they were easy to clean.

5. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Quote:Yeah, that feeder might work, I hadn't thought about hooking it up that way. Thank you!

6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I use a heavy ceramic bowl for the food, like a small dog bowl, my 2 have never dumped it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  7. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

I have owned guinea pigs before

Short squat heavy dishes do well - but then you have to worry about them getting in there and pooping in it - lol.
    Rabbit feeders work well though! Less mess and no dumping. [​IMG]

When I had mine I built a cage - about like a rabbit hutch but with a closed bottom, and a lip flap on one side where i could lock it up to keep shavings in or let it down and use a hand broom and sweep out the litter into a trash can. - it was short - but had a ramp along one wall that would go up into a ledge and under the ledge was enclosed except a hole for a hidey hole. I also used the PVC tunnels - guinea pigs, rabbits, ferrets all love those things. [​IMG] also had wood cubes for them to chew on and push around. [​IMG] guinea pigs are about as fun as rabbit to watch and I loved mine!

Anyway love the guineapig pics! I hope to check back and see more!

8. ladycrotalus

ladycrotalus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Massena, NY
    A couple of skinny pigs at the store.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are also americans, peruvians, texels, and abyssinians but i don't have pics of them.

Cage setups are solid bottoms with wire tops. Tanks are not recommended because they trap heat, ammonia odors, and bedding dust.

Bedding used at the store is kiln dried pine. I prefer aspen myself. Cedar is to be avoided.

They get plenty of timothy hay and guinea pig specific pellets. As well as fruits and veggies.
    They get apple tree branches to chew on.
    For food bowl tippers, we use ceramic dog dishes.

9. miss heny

Quote:sorry but [​IMG] on them

10. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Thanks for the suggestion on the ceramic food bowl. I will give that a try. Shadow is so wasteful with his plastic bowl. Lurky, your pigs are adorable, and I like your siggy quote too. I needed that right now. [​IMG]

ladycrotalus- Um...your pigs are interesting. I think I prefer the furry look though. Their bowl of food looks yummy, for a pig. LOL The kibbles and goodies they can eat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by