Guinea Sleeping Habits

ColtHandorf

🙄🤚 Sass Master
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Feb 19, 2019
Klondike, Texas
Okay, so I've had guineas before and never had this problem. I have four adult guineas now (plus some younger birds). Anyway, the four adults have always roosted at night when they were in the barn. After an incident involving the scalping of a chicken they were moved into the original bird pen the geese use. There is a house with roosts present. For months now they've been roosting in there. They eat out of the feeder, they nest in there, etc., but the last few nights they have gone to bed in the middle of my yard...on the ground. It's fenced, but there's no way it's safe if an owl notices them. Granted the geese usually are out on the yard so maybe they dissuade nocturnal, aerial predators. Last night I did some rearranging and pen building. I moved the house and changed the bedding out. They were in it earlier in the afternoon, but when it got dark I peeked out to see where they were and they were asleep by the gate in the front corner of the pen on the ground. I am at a loss of what to do. Catching them and putting them in the house is probably a wee bit more traumatic than it is worth, and I'd rather not terrorize them. Especially when push comes to shave they can clear a fence, even clipped, and we all know what forcing guineas results in. How can I get these silly birds to start roosting in their house again? Especially before they start teaching the youngsters sleeping on the floor is what all the cool kids do...

Okay, so I've had guineas before and never had this problem. I have four adult guineas now (plus some younger birds). Anyway, the four adults have always roosted at night when they were in the barn. After an incident involving the scalping of a chicken they were moved into the original bird pen the geese use. There is a house with roosts present. For months now they've been roosting in there. They eat out of the feeder, they nest in there, etc., but the last few nights they have gone to bed in the middle of my yard...on the ground. It's fenced, but there's no way it's safe if an owl notices them. Granted the geese usually are out on the yard so maybe they dissuade nocturnal, aerial predators. Last night I did some rearranging and pen building. I moved the house and changed the bedding out. They were in it earlier in the afternoon, but when it got dark I peeked out to see where they were and they were asleep by the gate in the front corner of the pen on the ground. I am at a loss of what to do. Catching them and putting them in the house is probably a wee bit more traumatic than it is worth, and I'd rather not terrorize them. Especially when push comes to shave they can clear a fence, even clipped, and we all know what forcing guineas results in. How can I get these silly birds to start roosting in their house again? Especially before they start teaching the youngsters sleeping on the floor is what all the cool kids do...
How old are your adults? I’ve trained mine to coop up when herded to their fence. I use the stick very slowly and gently so they walk instead of flying out of reach. I get them to the funnel fence that funnels to their auto door, then they do the rest. When they were young, they’d fly to the top of the coop or up a tree if something went wrong and they didn’t get in. Now that they’re 1-2 yr old, they seem to have mostly lost the urge to fly up to roost if something goes wrong. If they get scared of the coop (still happens sometimes) or the auto door isn’t open, they will instead just hunker down on the ground near the coop, which is a very bad idea predator wise! Your guineas sound like they may be doing something similar... Maybe try a funnel fence and herding them into bed?

How old are your adults?

Well over a year old.

Maybe try a funnel fence and herding them into bed?

I could try something like that. I'll get some pictures of their set up today. I was thinking maybe a small light in the house might help? But I don't have anyway of running power out that far, and I'm not sure what options I have for something else that would work.

Well over a year old.

I could try something like that. I'll get some pictures of their set up today. I was thinking maybe a small light in the house might help? But I don't have anyway of running power out that far, and I'm not sure what options I have for something else that would work.
Don't wait until dark to herd them in. Do it while there is still plenty of light left. Go slowly. Don't skip a day. You have to be very consistent when dealing with guineas.

Well over a year old.

you have choices-manual battery op, battery op w/remote, or solar. I have all of the above. Solar is usually sufficient, but some nights the remote led lights-brighter- make them feel more secure. Manual- meh, you going in the coop 1st might defeat the purpose.
*as stated, I put mine in before dark, but the coop is still dim.

Last edited:
I use solar. They're supposed to be pathway lights, but I took them apart so I can have the panel outside the coop sucking up sun, and the light inside the coop. They generally like to go where there's light.

If I wait till dark, they'll roost on top of the coop. Then I have to pet / poke / push them off, and they'll go wherever I shine my light. Guess they don't notice the light inside the coop, depending on what angle they're coming toward it.

I too use a fence to funnel them in and herd them over to the fence. My two kids help me round them up each evening. We always coop them before dark. Guineas just seem a lot more flighty once it’s dusk, so we do our best to get them in before that.

And as stated above, persistence is key. Keep up a routine and they will get used to sleeping in the coop again:)

Mine won't go in their coop if it's dark. I have an extension cord running to their coop but if I haven't plugged it in they will sit in the yard. Mine are bell trained so as soon as they hear it they're in the coop.
I bring them in at 8 before it's dark because we had a snake incident and I lost a guinea.

Mine won't go in their coop if it's dark. I have an extension cord running to their coop but if I haven't plugged it in they will sit in the yard. Mine are bell trained so as soon as they hear it they're in the coop.
I bring them in at 8 before it's dark because we had a snake incident and I lost a guinea.
What was your snake incident? Did it kill an adult?

Back
Top Bottom