1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Guinea Sneeze

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by LazyRAcres, Dec 3, 2016.

1. LazyRAcres

LazyRAcres New Egg

Dec 3, 2016
    I have 11, 6 month old Guineas and one has developed a high pitched sneeze. At first, I thought he could possible have millet seeds stuck that he was trying to blow out. But now it is apparently a possible upper respiratory infection (URI). I don't have a aviary vet that I take my birds to. What is the best thing to do for the little guy?

2. GlennLee

GlennLee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2016
    Central New York
    Hi LazyRAcres and [​IMG]

I have a flock of 12 (7 month old) Guineas. On and off since I've had them, there have been "sneezers". I usually just watch them and it clears up in its own time.

I'm not sure where you are, but if it's getting cold, you could isolate the one and keep it in a warmer spot. Anything you can do to reduce stress will help. If they are upset by being isolated, it may do more harm than good - and if they do like the isolation - it may mean that they are REALLY sick. The only one I had that didn't fight isolation for illness or injury ended up dying within a week.

By isolating a sick one, you can monitor what they are eating and drinking and offering high protein foods and adding electrolytes to the water can't hurt. I've also read that Terramycin and Duramycin are two antibiotics that might work to fight URI and it should be available in your local feed store.

That's about all I can think of... good luck and keep us posted. It's always nerve wracking when you have a sick one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by