Guinea surprise!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by WriterofWords, May 3, 2009.

1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I'm sitting here reading threads, catching up after being gone most of yesterday and I finally realized one of the sounds behind me was NOT one of the Coturnix quail in the cage recuperating, it's coming from the incubator! I peeked through the top and surprise!! There is a guinea taking a ride on the turner half in and half out of his little egg! I just had to candle the other bator quickly to see if I could combine into one bator, luckily I could, but that also meant I had a lot of eggs either not fertile or just not form. So he now finishing his hatching in the LG and I put the other Guinea egg in there too.
    I put them in on April 13 with the Call Duck and my duck eggs and for some reason I thought they took longer than chickens, not less time.
    If he makes it I'll post pics!

2. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Couldn't resist, I took a pic anyway!!
    [​IMG]

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Awwwwww.......... Cute as a bug's ear! Where did you get guinea eggs?

Happy hatching!

4. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    My friend that brought me the Call Duck eggs to hatch and sell brought these two eggs with them. I don't want to mess with Guineas so it will have to find a home, and if the other eggs hatches too they will both go bye bye. But it sure is cute, and noisy as all get out!

5. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    The second egg shows no signs of pipping or anything yet and my light isn't strong enough to candle it. The first little guy seems to be doing great though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by