Guinea Treats

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by raymaratea, Nov 15, 2019.

1. raymaratea

raymaratea In the Brooder

Sep 23, 2017
    We have 13 chickens (hens), and 5 Male Guineas. 4 all came together as chicks, and the one clearly in charge is an older male. We have them in a coop separate from the chickens, and I am wondering what I can give them as a treat to entice them into the coop quickly at night. The chickens jump in their side for dried meal worms but the Guineas don't seem to care anything about them. Any idea of a special treat for Guineas?

2. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Welcome to BYC. The guinea folks will hopefully chime in soon.

fldiver97, NHMountainMan and R2elk like this.
  3. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranger

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    :welcome
    Guineas develop their preferred tastes at an early age so trying to entice them with something they are not fed at an early age may not be very effective. White millet has been proven to be an effective treat as has BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds).

I do not use treats to get my guineas to go in their coop. I only feed and water in their coop. I have trained mine to be herded into their coop. Do not wait until too late in the day to put them in their coop as guineas are loathe to enter a dark, unlit coop.

4. ValerieJ

ValerieJ Crossing the Road

Jul 24, 2016
    Washington State
    I don't know anything about guineas, but wanted to say hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

5. Mixed flock enthusiast

Mixed flock enthusiast Crowing

May 21, 2018
    Stillwater, OK
    Welcome to BYC!!! Our guineas love dried mealworms and white millet. They will also eat chicken scratch as treats, but are not very fond of the corn in scratch. Other unintentional treats are a deer block that looks like a flock block, and whatever seeds that the wild birds dump from the feeders. Have you tried spreading some treat food around outside when they are already foraging? That’s how I introduced ours to new foods; it can take a few tries eating something new before they decide whether they like it...

I use treats in the coop for training, but I mostly try to give treats outside so they don’t try to defend the coop space where there are treats. I feed outside just before sunset so I can scatter food around and subordinate guineas can get some. Then they are in position to voluntarily enter the coop to roost. If that doesn’t happen by dusk, especially with subordinates who don’t want to be attacked, then I will herd them inside. Our guineas know the score: when it’s bedtime and I start waving the stick around and saying “time for bed” then they know that they have to go in or I will keep after them.

fldiver97, ValerieJ and R2elk like this.
  6. Left Spur

Left Spur Chirping

Nov 3, 2019
    Some bird prefer more veggies and some prefer meat. images (4).jpeg images (5).jpeg

7. Mixed flock enthusiast

Mixed flock enthusiast Crowing

May 21, 2018
    Stillwater, OK
    ValerieJ likes this.
  8. Unicornlife3316

Unicornlife3316 Songster

Apr 21, 2018
    Bryan, TX
    My females have found that they like grapes, they prefer to steal them from the chickens.

Mine also like to steal sweet feed from the donkey.. they have an eclectic taste

9. Henry&Friends

Henry&Friends Songster

May 6, 2018
    I have 12 chickens and 3 guineas, and I brooded the guineas with a batch of chicks. So the guineas just follow them in. However, I know My guineas go nuts for dried mealworms, so you could try that.

10. GeeseMama

GeeseMama Chirping

Jun 6, 2018
    I train my Guineas very early to come to call with either white millet or dried mealworms. Training them when they are older is not impossible, but it is tough. Try some live mealworm or super worms and if they are down for them then try to switch to dried. Helpful hints, you can buy bulk live mealworms online but the most cost effective way to buy them is find a reptile show near year and buy bulk there. A lot cheaper. Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: