guinea treats

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Wally, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Wally

Wally Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2007
    Texas Hill Country
    I was wondering, at what age do you start giving your keets treats like greens and vegatables? I have just cut the grass and the chikens love the clippings and I thought of giving some to my 1 week old keets.

2. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    I started giving mine treats when they were little (week maybe two) grapes, tomatoes, millet, etc...

However, watch giving cut grass I've read babies sometimes choke on long grass, I never gave mine grass cuttings (it would have to rain and let grass grow in order to cut it)

3. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Something to think about in regards to treats in the form of vegetables and fruits. If you feed the birds what you grow in your garden they'll figure its their free choice feeding ground.

I trained mine to just the millet and a good quality feed while they were still young.

4. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I just fed mine grass clippings at a very young age, they were still in the brooder. Now they free range and they pick up the peelings that the chickens leave from the veggies that grow through the fence around the garden.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by