Guinea Wars!!!

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by swampducks, Jul 28, 2008.

1. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    While free ranging my 2 guineas and 4 barred rocks, the 2 guineas decided to beat each other up, lots of head slamming and wattle grabbing (what are those little floppy things on the sides of their heads called?) I'm guessing the winner was the one less bloodied. The other seemed dazed and confused for a while, too.

Now they're all happily wandering the yard nibbling at things again.

I guess that confirms they're both probably male.

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Wow! How old are they?

Edited because I saw the answer to my next question in your sig line.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  3. swampducks

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    I got them at the feed store on May 21st. So I guess they're about 9 weeks old? ah, just looked at the pc calender, in 2 days they'll be 10 weeks.

But I swear, those guys were huge compared to the keets that arrived today in the mail. Those are tiny, whereas in the photos I took in May those guineas were the same size as my barred rocks. Maybe they were actually a little older?

[​IMG]

4. MTtroutwithwings

MTtroutwithwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2007
    Montana Country
    Yep! I had two males last year and they did that alot establishing territory but they were best of friends too, don't take it too seriously.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  5. debbiez

debbiez Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama
    Yep.Mine are about 9 weeks and they did the same thing the other day.We also have a female that hatched off so the winner got her.
    Wait till they get older they chase each other for Hours.DH and I counted about 40 laps around our house in about 40 min.We love watching the "Guinea 500 "every year.[​IMG]

6. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Holy cow! That sounds brutal! Ahhh.... The joys of raising these farm animals. [​IMG]

7. swampducks

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    Quote:At the moment mine seem to prefer hopping onto the deck, coming to the screen door and screeching at me to come feed them. Bring the 4 chickens right along with them.

Strange birds. I really like them though! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by