Guinea with a dodgy eye

Chickarama1

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 19, 2016
Dear all,
I bred a load of guineas last October and when they hatched we had one which was a bit odd looking, it couldn't open its eye properly.. and it had straddle leg. we fixed the leg and it seemed ok and now it is fit and well in every way except I noticed tonight that its eye doesn't look good. It is gungy and and the eye looks like it has a cataract. It seems fit and well in every other way. I don't want to take it to the vet for obvious reasons and bearing in mind every time I have to handle him it is a trauma for him is there anything I can do to help him?
Many thanks everyone and stay safe.

Sorry that no one answered your thread earlier. Do you have any pictures of the eye? Pecking or eye infections, and possible respiratory infection can cause gunk in eyes. Usually cleaning the eye with saline and applying an eye drop or antibiotic ointment twice a day is good.

Thanks ever so much for answering. Yes I have pretty much been gently washing and trying to put in eye drops when I can catch him.- which is a major task. His eye looked odd when he was born and he had spraddle leg (we hatched him in an incubator) so I guess it is not a surprise that there is something rumbling away. He looks like he has got a cataract but getting a picture is pretty difficult. I'll try my best if I can ever catch him again! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom