Guinea with swollen foot..infected? What do I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by taprock, Jan 24, 2011.

1. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

My guinea has had problems with her claws breaking. The one toe that lost a claw a couple weeks back is now swollen and I'm not sure what to do. Here's all the info:

She's a guinea hen about 7 months old.
    Limping and laying down
    Her toe has looked funny since the claw broke but I figured it would look different without the claw and she was not limping.
    All of the trauma from the claw breakage looked as though it was healed.
    I think she is still eating and drinking, Just started paying attention.
    We have pine shavings for bedding.
    I'm not sure what treatment I should do, I would separate her but it seems to bother guineas more than chickens and I didn't want to stress her more. Should I bring her in and put her in the dog crate? Where do I even go to find antibiotics for a bird?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. taprock

This is an update to the guineas foot. She is in the basement and now on antibiotics but not improving. It looks quite different from a month ago. Any ideas?
    [​IMG]

3. EmtheFishLady

EmtheFishLady We're all mad here Premium Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    I'm not an expert by any means, but could be bumblefoot?

I dunno, I'm only posting to bump you to the top.

4. taprock

I've never dealt with bumblefoot before but from what I've read and seen I don't think so. The bottom of the foot looks fine, not swollen, red or a spot/sore like pictures I've seen. This all started with a broken claw during blizzard conditions and has just escalated.

5. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Have you tried soaking the foot in any kind of salt water? That will draw out any infection. Is the area soft as if filled with fluid where you can lance it? Their is definitely something going on in there. I hope someone can help you. Good luck and I'll be watching this thread.

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I dont know..doesnt look good though...

7. taprock

The swollen area is hard no give at all if you push on it. I did soak it once and saw no difference but can try again. There is a small bloody crack at the toe end of the swollen area.

8. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I would read up some more on how to treat bumble foot. It looks like the same kind of infection just in the toe instead of the pad of the foot. I think you could treat it the same way. The crack and bleeding at the toe end could be caused by pressure from the swelling from the infection. I would at least start soaking it in epsom salt and warm water at least once a day to see if you can draw it out. I don't know about guineas but in chickens infections aren't liquid, they form more like a solid.

9. ollievee

ollievee Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2012
    Nebraska
    I realize the thread was started awhile ago, but taprock -- did you find a solution to this problem? I have that exact same thing with some of my birds and haven't been able to find information on what it is or what to do. Any thoughts would be most helpful. My problems seem to pop up in the winter, too, as you mentioned. Thanks.

10. ChickadeeHawk

ChickadeeHawk New Egg

Dec 28, 2011
    Maine
    I also have a friend with some Guinea's with this issue. Any advice would be appreciated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by