Guineafowl Flocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

hysop

RIP Ryder (2022) & Hammy (2019)
Sep 16, 2019
SW Georgia
I have 5 adult males.

I ordered 10 keets from Cackle Hatchery due to arrive in mid August.

I got impatient and bought 16 keets in my local area.

Will they merge together or will they continue making their own little flocks when they're older?

If I want to make them into one huge flock, do I just house them next to each other in their own runs where they can see each other, but not touch?

I don't plan on free ranging the 2 flocks of keets/guineas until March (I have a horrible track record with keeping young guineas alive). But the 5 males I have now free range all day every day and sleep in the trees near my house.

Sadly I will be eating some of them in the winter to make it an even 1:1 male to female ratio or close to it.

I have 5 adult males.

I ordered 10 keets from Cackle Hatchery due to arrive in mid August.

I got impatient and bought 16 keets in my local area.

Will they merge together or will they continue making their own little flocks when they're older?

If I want to make them into one huge flock, do I just house them next to each other in their own runs where they can see each other, but not touch?

I don't plan on free ranging the 2 flocks of keets/guineas until March (I have a horrible track record with keeping young guineas alive). But the 5 males I have now free range all day every day and sleep in the trees near my house.

Sadly I will be eating some of them in the winter to make it an even 1:1 male to female ratio or close to it.
My experience is that keets are much more accepting of other keets than adults are.

Once the youngest ones are big enough to not be seen as food or toys by the older keets, they should merge pretty easily. Getting the adult males to accept the keets may prove interesting and challenging, They will probably be pretty accepting of females but might not be so kind to any new males.

My experience is that keets are much more accepting of other keets than adults are.

Once the youngest ones are big enough to not be seen as food or toys by the older keets, they should merge pretty easily. Getting the adult males to accept the keets may prove interesting and challenging, They will probably be pretty accepting of females but might not be so kind to any new males.

Thanks!

So I'll try to make a brooder for my future 10 keets that I can place within 24/7 sight of my current 16 and merge them once they're older.

I'll see if I can get my 5 adult males in a pen next to the larger flock in the winter where bugs aren't an issue.

I guess I shall return in 6 to 9 months with an update =)

Thanks!

So I'll try to make a brooder for my future 10 keets that I can place within 24/7 sight of my current 16 and merge them once they're older.

I'll see if I can get my 5 adult males in a pen next to the larger flock in the winter where bugs aren't an issue.

I guess I shall return in 6 to 9 months with an update =)
Also my experience that keets are accepting of other keets, though “look don’t touch” is always a good idea.

6-9 mo! What??? :th Maybe some pics before then???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom