Guineas 1, Raccoon 0

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by tomingreeneco, Mar 6, 2012.

1. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Greene County, PA
    Well my guineas saved the day again. I was working in my office and my guineas really started making a racket. Knew the sound and knew something was wrong out in the yard. They were all over at by the woods and soon I saw a Raccoon wanting to enter the yard. Yelled out the window but the coon was not scared (probably Rabid). Ran outside with the rifle and shot it just as it was going for the chickens. This is 3 times now that my guineas have warned me of trouble (one coyote, one fox). Think I'll give them a big treat tomorrow (meal worms) and keep them around awhile.

2. GuineaLady93

GuineaLady93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Cameron, NC
    My Coop
    Nice! Glad they warned you before it got to your chickens.

3. BritinMO

BritinMO Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Yeha! Go Guineas!!!

4. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Makes it all worth it when they earn their keep huh? LOL. Good job Guineas! [​IMG]

5. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Hurray for your guineas, glad your chickens are safe. I truly believe that our guineas' alertness keeps our chickens safer.

6. TarheelBirdy

TarheelBirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

I have seen mine run off a stray dog, a coyote, and a raccoon. They haven't quite managed to run off my husband's truck or the neighbor's four wheeler. They harrass every horse who DARES to lay down and take a nap in the sun.

7. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Greene County, PA
    Mine will also chase away any deer that come in the yard. Also the mailman and UPS truck! [​IMG]

8. IsbelAcresTN

IsbelAcresTN Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2012
    That is priceless! I will tell anyone that my guineas are the loudest most annoying creatures on the earth and I LOVE THEM! They are the best little watchdogs on the planet and eat bugs to boot! Who could ask for more??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by