guineas(4males and 1 female)

monster1

Songster
11 Years
Oct 4, 2008
california(unfortunately)
out of a dozen eggs that i incubated, five hatched and are about four monthes old now. i have determined that i have 4 males and 1 female. only the one(female) cries "buckwheat." the others make that male "racket." will the males be ok together or will they start to fight like roosters do?

this site is driving me nuts tonight.. sooo slooow

yes, it is possible that your roosters will fight, especially since they so outnumber the hen..

what you have to watch out for is them each taking a turn one after another.. your hen will suffer from this..

I am not an expert but I have had guinea fowl for a couple of years and I am not so sure that you will have the same issue with guinea that you might have with chickens. If you give them range you may see them chase each other etc. but I seldom seeing them taking feathers off etc. They are fairly shy breeders and I suspect the hen will be just fine.

I would wait to see if you have an issue before locking up your hen. I am guessing they will get along just fine. They are so darn quick that they get out of each other's way pretty well.

Quote:
then I stand corrected..

the knock down drag out bloody battles I saw must have been my imagination with the freeranging guinea roosters..

My male Guinea do chase each other. I have a few that chase the chickens too and they always chase the roosters.

I have not seen them fight. I think they can not hold a thought long enough to get it done !!

I do LOVE my Guineas and really they are in general no problem at all, well except for the continual and merciless racket !!

However, you really do need to get a few more hens and at least a one on one. Mating season is coming up and you will see for yourself how it goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they are raised together you shouldn't have any problems. One male will be dominate over all others and court the female. Most flocks contain far more cocks than hens and there may be some pecking order fighting but they won't affect the females. Any "new" bird added to the flock,hen or cock, has to work its way thru the chain of command. Its the birds way of life.

Male guineas can live together. They will chase each other everywhere in the spring but once the breeding season gets underway they do calm down. There are people who just keep males - since they are somewhat quieter. I have more problems with my females then the males fighting. They seem to take longer to establish their rankings.

Back
Top Bottom