guineas AFRAID of chickens???

oliviad51

Songster
10 Years
Jul 23, 2009
North Carolina
My guineas have always been afraid of my chickens. I have always seen people saying that their guineas were mean to their chickens but mine are the complete opposite..are anyone elses guineas like this?

My guineas rank lower than the two hens that were already grown when they were keets, but they're not afraid of the other chickens and will chase them off occasionally.

Both my chickens and my keets are equal. Neither are afraid of the other. They eat together, sleep together, pester me for more food together.
I am thankful that they get along so well.

Last edited:
My guineas are still young, and they are afraid of my chickens. I generally keep them in separate yards, but when the roosters got in the yard where the guineas were, they usually chase them.

Funny, I usually move the guineas back into their own little run before I let the geese into that yard to feed them. Yesterday I didn't take the guineas out first but fed them some scratch across the yard while the geese ate. The guneas finished first and ran full speed toward the geese (who are MUCH larger than the chickens!) as though they were going to try to ear with them. I'm glad they had the sense to stop short, since I imagine the geese would have nipped them.

But yes, my guineas right now are afraid of my chickens. Chickens are 5+ months old and guineas are probably still less than 3 months. I REALLY haveto set up that card file on the livestock I've been planning so I can keep tabs on breeding, medical care, ages, and all that

My guineas and chickens eat, sleep and free range together..of course the guineas roam all over the neighborhood while the chickens usually stay close to the house. My chickens will peck and run off my guineas but they aren't too mean to them.

My guineas sleep and graze for bugs with my hens. They hate the roosters though. Even the adult guinea hen can kick any of my roos furry butts. They are afraid of the guineas. They protect my hens better than any of the roos.

When my guineas were about 2 months old I let them free range in the backyard, and my chickens were always in the backyard as well. The older chickens would boss the guineas around and the guineas were very scared of the chickens .. until they got bigger. When the guineas were about 3 - 4 months old I have 15 month old baby chicks in the backyard that I let out everyday, and the guineas would terrorize them all day long! The guineas would chase them around and peck them all over the yard - then when I moved them in with my grown chickens they just act like chickens?
Just depends on the guineas.
smile.png

The bird ranking in my yard goes like this:

#1~~Geese
#2~~Guineas
#3~~Ducks
#4~~Chickens

unless it's at the feed bowl, then #2 and #3 are switched. My chickens are scared to death of the guineas, only one rooster that I know of will take off after the guineas.

Back
Top Bottom