Guineas and Chickens together

bychick5618

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 15, 2013
Does anyone sucessfuly raise guineas and hens together? I started my flock with guineas and chickens fresh from the hatchery. They are now 18 weeks old and looking pretty mature. I'm expecting them to start laying soon. My 3 (surprize!) roosters are just starting to crow and act roosterish. The 3 guineas (sex unknown) dominate the hens but back down to the roosters. The guineas, seemingly without cause, with latch onto the tail end of a hen and not let go! All the while the chicken is squawking and running as fast as she can with a guinea hanging on. The birds all freerange together so are not confined when the rear-end latching on occurs. Is this normal dominance behavior? I'm feeling like I'd like to try roast guinea but I do want the pest control and predator alarm the guineas can offer. Any suggestions on how to keep the guineas from being so aggressive with the chickens?
Thank,
bychick5618

sounds to me like u have male guinea. i kept guineas with bantams pretty good, even during breeding. but beware there is a thing called a guinhen. and that is what it sounds like to me.

Back
Top Bottom