Guineas and egglaying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by OccamsTazer, Nov 12, 2009.

1. OccamsTazer

OccamsTazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    I'm curious about the egglaying habits of guineas, when do they usually start? I have six guineas, two of which are fully grown. I got the older pair last spring, not sure exactly when, but they've been fully adult for a couple months now. They're a male and a female, and they constantly remind me of their genders with noisy calling!
    However, I am yet to see any mating behavior or any eggs. They stay in a pen with the chickens, with a few hours of free range in the evenings, so she *could* be hiding eggs, but I doubt it because she is always busy foraging when I look out the window.
    Are guineas just a bit more private about their romance? My chickens are always going at it [​IMG]

2. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Guineas are very seasonal and I am not sure where you are located, but unless you have a pretty sophisticated set up your guineas will lay very seasonally. They (normally) start somewhere around the first of June and lay up until Oct. or so. Mine quit in sept. but I think that is early and there is a chance they were still laying and I just didnt find the eggs. They usually lay quite well (nearly daily) during their laying season. The two biggest challenges are A. finding the eggs unless you have them cooped, and B. keeping predators away from the females when they start setting.

I lost two females this year that I could not find when they began to set and I couldnt find them. They were in fact quite well hidden in fairly close proximty to my house and yard.

Edited to say: I see you are in Alabama you may have a longer season than I have here in colorado. I doubt they are breeding now and yes they are far more private. My eggs were nearly all fertile but I have never seen my cock mate a hen.

Most of the time the hens will lay a good bit before the cock begins to mate. The desire for the male to mate is quite directly related to warm temperatures

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  3. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    Hummm I was wondering the same thing... we have 5 guineas with our chickens and they free range whenever they want.

4. OccamsTazer

OccamsTazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Thanks for the info :)
    That makes sense about them being seasonal, since they aren't as domesticated. I'm always amused at how much more of a wild animal the guineas are. When they're foraging, they'll stop every few scratches and peer up at the sky to make sure all is well, where as the chickens are totally oblivious. And if I have to grab one for some reason, WOW! It's like grabbing a hurricane!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by