Guineas and Gardens?

wildcat chix

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 27, 2011
Barbourville, Kentucky
I am trying to talk my wife into getting a few guineas. We have a lot of bugs here (TICKS!) and I think some guineas would do really well.

She has 2 main concerns -
1, the noise... Would even just 2 or 3 guineas be so obnoxious as to make the neighbors want to kill me? Also, are hens quieter than roosters, or will more than one rooster fight?
And 2, the garden... We want a nice vegetable garden this year and are even cooping up Bonnie and Clyde, who have been free rangers all their one year lives.
We know that chickens will ruin the garden, but I have been told that guineas will not bother the veggies. I heard they will even eat aphids off of rosebushes. Someone please settle this, and I already know I will get several responses of "It depends on the bird", but I would really like these birds.

Thank you in advance,
Clint

Once your garden is well established its very safe to allow the Guineas in to help take care of unwanted critters. Word of warning, do not feed them treats of any veggies you grow or they will harvest on their own.

Noise is one of those things that is in the eye or ear of the beholder. Guineas are noisier than chickens and always will be. There are ways to deal with it but it depends on your setup.

Either get only a pair or a min of two males, two females. And keep them away from your chickens.

The other thing you could do is fence the garden and forget the Guineas and let the chickens back out.

My guineas are quiet except for when they alert. We are greatful for their alarm.

A mature flock, knows when to alarm. Youngsters without an older generation tend to alarm at everything until they learn.

Guineas are fabulous. Of all my birds, they are the easiest on my garden and landscaping.

Quote:
Guineas will make bowl shaped holes in soft soil to dust bathe, be it the South side of the house in the flower bed , or the garden, but otherwise don't reallu dig and scratch like chickens do, but when the tomatoes, or some other vegetables get ripe and they might accidentally pick it when after the bugs, but really a small price to pay!!! We moved 13 miles South from where we were with no mosquito problem to where we live now with lots of different bugs, we've had from 4 or 5 up to overwintered about 100 guineas this last winter free range! I would suggest trying to find some keets that are close to the same age as your chicks, and raise them together to help them to learn to go in the coop at night with the chickens!! The easiest way to integrate them in!!! I started out buying at an auction and had no idea what I was in for, but have sold about 60 through the auctions and nobody ever asked how they were raised, my guineas have all been inside at least the last couple weeks, if it warms up, I'm sure they will still go back to roosting in the trees ,lol, still love my guineas!!

Back
Top Bottom