Guineas and wild turkeys, plus other tidbits

MIChickandGuinea

Songster
Jun 28, 2017
Western Michigan
Our guineas are full-time free-ranged, though we did make a shelter for them with high perches and wind/rain protection. They sleep there and huddle there when it sleets, but that's about it. This morning, they were minding their own silly business, browsing (honk, whistle, chatter chatter) when a large groups of wild turkeys wandered through. The tom turkeys decided to fan out their tails and chase my poor stupid guineas all over the front field. The guineas moved with their usual hive-mind group behavior, and it was like watching a sheep dog move a flock. The turkeys never actually attacked my guineas, and the guineas never decided to actually leave the area - they have 80 acres of field, forest, yard, pond, standing field corn... it's not like they HAD to stay there and be picked on. Is there anything to worry about in this interaction? Would wild turkeys increase their aggression and actually hurt my guineas? Not that there's much I could DO about it, I guess. There are *a lot* of wild turkeys in our area, and they love my yard in the fall.

Also, my guineas are spoiled!! I was just trying to do housework, when I heard the most outrageous ruckus, and it was the guineas standing on my front porch demanding mealworms. They seem to be getting more tame as time goes by - I would have thought they would get less tame because they're free to wander wherever, and don't have to spend any time near people or being handled or anything. I am surprised that they choose to visit us at all.

I don't think that ya have anything to be concerned with...guineas can outmanuvre turkeys fairly easily and the display is a defense mechanism for the wild turkeys...along with the mating show...they were just making sure that they weren't being sized up for an attack. Count yourself lucky that ya have a relationship and interaction with them, others just wish they had the same from their gangsters....:)

Back
Top Bottom