Guineas are dying on me!

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by aonis, Aug 7, 2009.

1. aonis

aonis In the Brooder

Jun 18, 2009
    I've had these Guineas for about 3 weeks. I got them when they were supposedly 7 wks old. They've been on a mix of medicated and non-medicated Turkey grower. They live on fresh grass and are moved almost daily. I change their water very often 1-2 times a day if it seems dirty.

I lost the first one over a couple of days after the first week. Showed definite signs; away from the flock, panting a lot, head tucked in and one morning just dead.

Second one I lost yesterday with no signs of sickness what-so-ever?

Third one lost this morning and much for the same reasons except that this one showed some signs of flock separation?

Any ideas???? Advice????

here is a photo of them (not the dead ones):
    [​IMG]

2. Only thing I can think of is a disease and you may need to get the Game bird feed which has a 22 percent to 26 percent protein content.

Guineas DO need alot of protein in their feed until they are about 12 weeks old.

When you can get to the point when they start to free range (outside of a tractor) and find lots of bugs, the protein content can be brough down.

I am fighting ONE Guinea that got beat up and the other pressed thei bird to not eating or drinking. This one is pretty sick and I have it isolated. I am forcing water and antibiotics down the poort thing.

3. ziggywiggy

ziggywiggy Songster

May 25, 2009
    McNeal, AZ
    Just a couple of ideas. Make sure the grass is not moist that they're
    living on and make sure they have access to grit.

4. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    Is their feed moldy? Are there any granular pesticides (like diazinon) or fertilizers they could be mistaking for food?

5. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Do guineas get cocci? Not all strains cause bloody stools, but cocci can cause sudden death, in chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: