Guineas attacked by hawk... one missing :( and one with a broken leg??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Pcola Chick, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Pcola Chick

Pcola Chick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Hi Everyone - Not sure what's going on with my guineas little leg. I "had" (sniff sniff) 6 but as of today I'm down to 5. Hawk... When they were all running away from the hawk, one of my girls did something to her leg and now she can't put any weight on her right leg. She hops on her left and the right just dangles. There's no blood or anything so the hawk didn't actually touch her, it just scared her and caused her to injure her leg badly. Question is, how do I know if it is dislocated or if it is broken? I have no idea what to do in either situation. So frustrated right now... she's in a small cage by herself now so she will be safe and won't walk around much. I HATE hawks!!! Suggestions? Someone said I could splint it but I'm not sure how to do it or if that will even help.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  2. WilsonAcres

WilsonAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Milton
    I'm not sure how to tell how bad the leg is but I found this for pain relief hopefully it'll help her hold up until someone can help you

Aspirin - for pain relief. Dosage is approximately 25 mg per pound of chicken's body weight each day – (A standard baby Aspirin is 80 mg, and a standard adult Aspirin pill is 325 mg). This information is from the Poultry Podiatry website. Warning: aspirin thins the blood and should not be used if internal bleeding is suspected or in cases where a wound will not stop bleeding.

3. Pcola Chick

Jul 20, 2011
    Thanks WilsonAcres... I will do that first thing in the morning. I have a video I took of her hopping and examined the leg a lot but I just can't tell where it hurts her. When I move it around though I think I feel a roughness on the inside... like something isn't moving smoothly but then I've never been able to move one of their legs around so I don't know! [​IMG] Thank you!

4. WilsonAcres

Jul 9, 2011
    Milton
  5. Pcola Chick

Jul 20, 2011
    Yep! I'm in Pensacola. That's where I took two of my chickens already. That vet office is literally 2 min from my grandparents house where I've keep my chickens and guineas. Honestly, I want to take her there immediately BUT (here it comes) the last time I was there it cost $70 and the time before... $100... so I'm thinking I may try to "doctor" her myself. Is it just me or do we have TONS of hawks around here???? What is the deal! I have my chickens in a coop built like Ft. Knox but I have to let the guineas out each morning because the male guineas terrorize the chickens. Unfortunately, it was one of my girl guineas I lost today and another innocent girl with a broken leg.

Thank you for that link... I'm going to look at it now!

6. WilsonAcres

Jul 9, 2011
    Milton
    Don't blame you a bit for trying to doctor it yourself it gets so expensive!and omg we have TONS of hawks!! im sorry about your loss hopefully the other will be fine!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by