1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Guineas Bullying Chicks

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by jessied1227, Aug 28, 2007.

1. jessied1227

jessied1227 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    East Brady, PA
    I have my 5 guineas, approx. 11 weeks old, in with my 12 - 6 weeks old chicks and 4 - 4 week old chicks.

The guineas are quickly becoming terrorists. The only bird in the run that isn't backing down from them is the little BO roo.

For those of you with guinea experience, when can I let them out to range around? They are double the size of the chicks, and I'm worried they will harm the smaller ones, or keep them from eating. I have several feeders and there are a few chicks they seem to single out, and they chase them away from the feeders, even if the guineas aren't eating there. [​IMG]

I'd like to let them out to free range, but is it too early?
    Thanks in advance-
    Jess

2. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    are you freeranging(no fences) or letting them out into a fenced off area

3. jessied1227

jessied1227 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    East Brady, PA
    They're in an enclosed run. If I would let them out, they would be completely free ranging.

I have 12 girls that are full grown that free range, so I don't know that the guineas would hang around them. There is a small fenced area, but it's only 4 feet tall, and I'm fairly sure they could fly over it.

Jess

4. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    I'm sure the book doesn't say so, but I have done everything wrong according to the book, and mine are all still with me. As long as they are getting back in the coop like you want I would open the gate and see what happens, maybe later in the day maybe an hour before they usually go in for the night. Mine have been completely free since 6 weeks, but mine also were not oldest birds, and they are in with same aged chickens from day 1.

5. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

My guineas all follow my chickens around all day free ranging.I am babysitting a bunch of little hens for a friend.and the guineas are so mean.......chase them around.... so I keep little ones in.and let guineas out and enclose little ones in henhouse while guineas roost at night in the enclosed run.....might try just letting them out.

6. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    I had a few guineas & besides the noise, (KA-CHANK=KA-CHANK on & on lol
    they started picking on my young chics & I got rid of them. Wish they could have stayed but just didn't work out.
    I say give it a try,they should come back to roost in the coop if ya have had them there for a few weeks.

7. pricem11

pricem11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    We actually had a dozen or so guineas before we got into chooks. We have so many ticks here in the woods. We built a great coop, brooded them with love for months, gave them the best starter, etc. Then the day I let them out to free range for the first time, they hiked to the edge of the property, jumped the fence, and joined up with the guineas on the neighboring farm. Haven't seen them since, but I occasionally hear a distant 'Ka-chank! Ka-chank!'. :) Chickens aren't exactly the smartest birds around, but they're real einsteins compared to our guineas. I may try again one day and ask one of my girls to brood a few alongside some of her chicks.

8. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    The keets will need time to feel comfortable about leaving their coop. My suggestion is to seperate the chicks in to an area of their own.

I've got 4 month old keets in my coop now that I've tried brooming out into the broad outdoors. I've got a flock of adult birds but they're having none of that. This next week I'm going to build a cage for them in my main guinea coop so I can get them joined with the other adults.

I can guarantee you that I will not allow my Silkies to hatch keets anymore. Its too much of a hassle trying to get the guineas out of my chicken coop.

9. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    I'm going to make an update to my earlier post.

I am now treating one of my Silkies for a head injury more than likely done by the 4 month old keets. They are full of themselves right now. I've caught them chasing the chickens, this afternoon I was filling waterers and shot them with the hose to make them quit.

They are moving ASAP before I have anymore injured birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by