guineas chasing me

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by granny hatchet, Oct 7, 2013.

1. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    my guineas have been free range all summer taking care of the bugs and now that its turning a little cool out i dont see any tasty treats for them. i feed flock raiser to all my fowl and they have been fine on it for 3 yrs now. i know millet is a great treat for them so i ordered 50lbs. of it. its just not doing it for them. they are up my butt constantly begging and i just dont know what they want. during the warmer months i wouldnt see them until bed time and now im seeing them too much! any thoughts?

2. Hotcookie

Hotcookie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2012
    Maybe they're looking for a little protein. Mine love it when I take unsalted, roasted peanuts.......crack open the shell, and let them dig the peanuts out.

3. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    I don't have guineas but when my peafowl act that way I get them some dried mealworms from Tractor Supply Co. They gobble them up like crazy! Your guineas would probably like that.

4. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    thank you both, do u know of some thing cheaper than meal worms? i belive its 8 dollars for a small bag. like 8 oz. or some where along those lines. i dont know how much the peanuts are tho.

5. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    You could also get a sack of catfish food, cat food, or dog food. The catfish food is normally a great size for birds to eat.

6. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i just got home from tractor supply, bought meal worms and suet and they still beg.they let me get closer to them than i ever have, touching. they don't look sick. i thought of something, there is 3 juvenile guineas in a coop inside their coop and a stray cat outside that i seen just today go in there for water. there is also one guinea sitting in there. could this be a reason for their strange behavior?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by