Guineas decided they hate my rooster...

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Iheartchickens7, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Iheartchickens7

Iheartchickens7 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2012
    I have had my 6 guinea fowl living with 7 chickens for the past few months. Everyone is about a month or two apart in age and have basically been raised together. They have a 9x10 coop attached to a 10x20 run. I have been unable to free range the birds recently due to coyote taking one of my chickens and a visit from a hawk a few days ago. Yesterday I came out to check on the birds and found a guinea attacking my rooster. I took him out to recover for a bit but when he went back into the run 2 guineas instantly attacked him again and I had to save him.
    While I had him separated the guineas were completely fine with the female chickens. I put my roo with his favorite lady (both are bantams) in a dog crate in the coop overnight because I do not want him to be killed.

I am wondering if the guineas are just aggressive to roosters or if they will eventually turn on my hens as well. I don't want to give my rooster away only to find out that they will be nasty anyway. I have read many posts on the forum about them turning on the chickens, but some people have had success so I was really hoping that everyone would get along well because they were all raised together. They have an EE pullet that was raised with them from day one, she is considered one of them and they each get upset if they are separated.

Has anyone had success keeping both types of birds together or should I just get them their own coop and call it a day?

2. hillbillyfarmer

hillbillyfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    Maryland
    I had the same problem and had to separate them. I don;t know about the hens because I removed them when my roosters started mating because the roosters were too aggressive. The breeds that I had raised with the guineas were Black Javas and Light Sussex which are really big roosters. So now the guineas have there own coop and area were they free range away from the chickens.

3. JLeigh

JLeigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    North Georgia
    [​IMG] If you can, build them their own coop. Everybody wins that way - you, the guineas, the rooster and your hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by