Guineas dropping dead in coop. Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ske1806, Dec 30, 2010.

1. ske1806

ske1806 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, New York
    The weather has been cold and we have had a heavy snow. I let the guineas out by choice through a little door -- over the last week found two grown guineas dead on the ground inside the coop. I have no idea why. There are no marks. They are full grown -- or closely anyhow, born in April. There have been no signs of illness as far as I can tell. I have gone down from 26 to 23 (one just disappeared). Is there any illness that comes on quick and just kills them? They are active, speaking, flying, walking, by all appearances..

I have two heat bulbs on for them in their coop. Water on a water heater available at all times and a layer feed available for them. They get daily scoops of millet thrown on the ground in the coop.

2. TajMahalChickens

TajMahalChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Is there any blood or sign of a physical injury? even if there is no blood, dogs will just kill for sport. There may be no feathers gone and it could still be a dog.

As far as disease I'm not sure. I understand that you can just expect some to die, but with your numbers I'm not so sure.
    Sorry I can't be of more help.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Guineas are very flighty birds, in my admittedly limited experience. Could they have killed themselves by flying into a wall? I have been watching my birds performing Chicken Olympics in their coop since the cold weather started. I keep telling them "It's all fun and games until someone flies into the wall at top speed and breaks their neck." Could there be something like this going on?

Sorry for your losses.

4. ske1806

ske1806 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, New York
    I think they died as an aftermath of exposure. I've been keeping them locked up in their coop and the remainder seem more alert and healthy. Even after a round of antibiotics and dewormer some still at times have runny light brown mustardy droppings -- I'm assuming that's normal. They've started laying eggs everywhere.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by