Guineas drove RIR Roo from coop!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Goose and Fig, May 13, 2009.

1. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I feel so bad- we have one pair (not even sure if they are male & female) of guineas. They decided that they were going to take over my bigger chicken coop where the hens & rooster used to sleep. The rooster has been hanging out in the woods all day- not near the hens at all. The last 2 nights he's been outside- can't even find him to force him inside. I'm so worried about racoons getting him.

Should I keep the guineas locked inside their house? We got them so they could free range and eat bugs & such- and we have serious bugs out here in the woods. Any ideas?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Well, that's a pain.

I'd probably try locking them up for a few days. People here often say this will teach chickens where they live. Wonder if it would work with those headstrong guineas....

3. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I tried that a few weeks ago when they started harassing the rooster. It seemed to work for a short while. I will lock them up again for little longer.

Here's something funny: last night when I went to close up the henhouse for the night- the wind had blown the door shut. There were supposed to be 13 hens, a turkey, and the roo inside. There were 4 hens. I couldn't see them anywhere. The turkey was on the roof. I finally found them- all 9 crammed into the little guinea coop. One by one I carried them around to put them in. They just dropped to the floor like rocks. It was like a Three Stooges movie trying to get them on the perches. I never realized how dumb they are at night!

But- that's why I worried about the roo- anybody/anything could snatch him up.

Thanks!

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It will probably never stop. I did lock my guineas up for two weeks, never let them out, when they started in on my RIR girls (they hate red chickens!). They only attacked the RIRs and my BR rooster. Didn't work. They were increasingly aggressive and when I had to rescue my rooster from the woods one day, I said enough is enough! It's the nature of guineas, really. They do better living separate from chickens in large groups.

5. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Should I find a new home for them? I really wanted them- but I am much more concerned for my chickens. Boy are they hard to catch!

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You can try separating them from the flock before thinking about getting rid of them. I miss mine still after all this time. They really are unique critters.

Hey, I love Pikeville! Had some land and a cabin up in Jamestown a few years back.

7. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    They are unusual little creatures. They remind me of old nannies with the "bustle". I have them in thier own coop now. The rooster is back combing for bugs with the hens. He's making really weird noises- like he's nervous they might come back out.

I'll try keeping them in a little longer this time. If it doesn't work I'm sure I find someone to take them.

I love it in TN! We're from Cleveland- so this is waaay different. Our land is close to Fall Creek Falls- one of the best parks in the SE.[​IMG]

8. colewilson

colewilson Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2009
    they WONT stop. i have 5 guineas and they all attack everyone of my chickens especially my gimpy chicken. they would grab her leg and fling her up in the air. i felt so sorry for her to i got the guineas and put them in a cage and they've been in there for about 2-3 weeks now. there in there until my buddy comes to get them.

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  9. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Yes- I don't think I should keep them. The friend that I got them from is going to take them back. They'll have lot of company. Most of my dark hens are missing feathers- I turned the the light out in the coop, but now I realized that it started right after I added the guineas. A-ha!

I will miss them- but the chickens won't!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by