Guineas Eggs - again

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by MissPrissy, Aug 16, 2008.

1. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Last week my DH found a clutch of 8 guinea eggs. We decided to watch and see if the one hen we have was sitting or laying. Every day eggs have been added to her nest. My DH was thrilled and has pestered me endlessly about trying to hatch them. Today she had 15 eggs in her nest. He brought me 12 and I set them this evening. Tomorrow is day 1.

The last guineas I hatched were not from my own flock and had serious problems. I ended up culling most of them. I have a set I hatched growing out with my turkeys. Looks like I am going to be brooding something for a few many more months around here.

2. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    That sounds great!! I love my guineas. They are 2 months old and today they moved from the brooder to one of the horse stalls and will stay there for a few days before letting them out to free range with the ducks, geese and chickens that live in the barn.

I need to take some picures of them at 2 months. I have 2 white, 2 pearl and 1 pied.

Have you eatten guineas before? I was wondering how they taste. I had someone ask me if they could get some adults for eatting.

3. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    I have a crippled one we might eat. I'll let you know how it goes.

They are supposed to be a little like pheasant in flavor.

4. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The guineas I have eaten were slow roasted in the oven. To me they are better than chicken, super tender and lovely meat.

These are pearl variety. I like them best.

5. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Hmmmm, maybe I should quit hatching my guineas for the neighbor and start hatching some for my poor relation....the freezer! [​IMG]

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I grew up eating guineas...they're more like pheasant than chicken to me.

7. Bluedog420

Bluedog420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Cartersville, Ky
    I have hatched out over 300 french guinea's this year with only 6 hen's...every 8 day's I git 48 egg's like clock work. I wish my laying hen's were that productive...lol.... (GUINEA'S RULE)...Peace

8. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    Hey MissPrissy, what's a good age to butcher a guinea? I've got more than I can winter over here. :|

9. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    When they weigh enough to make it worth your wild to butcher them? 10 - 14 weeks.

10. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    Quote:If I tell my husband that, he's liable to go grab my 2 that are already 12 weeks old. The other 49? (I lost count) are under 2 weeks.

Yeah, I got a little carried away with a sale last week.....

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by