Guineas following me around

Sfraker

Songster
5 Years
Feb 17, 2014
Western NC
I have 5 guineas that are about 4.5 months old. I got them at 6 weeks old and they had not been handled at all. They have started a new habit that is funny and I'm wondering if it's normal or if mine are just silly.

They have started following me around the yard. They stay about 10 feet behind me and when I turn to look at them they stop and turn away. Then when I start walking again they start following me.

As I'm working in the yard they will follow me back and forth for a good 10 minutes before they go back to hunting for bugs.

I can't get closer than 5' to any of them. I have only fed them at night since we got them, so I don't think they are looking for food. They know to run to their coop at night for treats.

Is it an age thing? or is this normal guinea behavior? I hope it continues because it's pretty funny! When I turn around they all turn away like "What, we weren't following you". It brings a smile to my face every time.

Our guineas are about five months old and they do a similar thing. They follow my husband and I and one of our dogs--the other two they are not fond of. It is very funny how when we turn around they stop and pretend that they were just going about their business. I agree with you that I hope it doesn't stop. It's so cute!

Back
Top Bottom