guineas going on day seven. question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by monster1, Oct 25, 2008.

1. monster1

monster1 Chillin' With My Peeps

the guinea eggs have been in the bator for six going on seven days now. after a rough start of trying to get the temp just right after the first couple of days, the temp is perfect at 99.5 and 40-45% humidity. i candled a couple eggs even though it may be alittle soon. i didn't see anything i think i should be looking at. no dark ring around the egg or spider viens shooting though the egg. i did notice that the yokes didn't float in the eggs as i turned them near the candle(you know, like a bubble level). what does this mean? there was a dark mass in the center but was not round. it was almost rectangle shaped. sorry for the ignorance. this is my first hatch ever. what is going on?

2. eggonomist

eggonomist Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2007
    Singhampton, Ont, Canada
    I've had 4 goes of Guineas and each time I thought I had something and they turned out to be duds, while the others I put a question mark on that I thought were not fertilized ended up with chicks. I would wait another week, then you can usually see the embryo's move a little when you disturb them. The shells are VERY thick on Guineas (well mine were) and makes it quite hard to see anything viable. Most of the last batch I candled weekly and after the second week I was more certain I had the correct ones marked. I left the others in there as long as they didn't smell as a heat sink as they were evenly spaced between the viable eggs.

3. eggonomist

eggonomist Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2007
    Singhampton, Ont, Canada
    sorry I should at least try to speak the lingo, I meant keets not chicks [​IMG]

4. feathersgalore

feathersgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Ohio
    I agree, guinea eggs are very thick. I usually try and candle after 14 days (remember it takes longer for guinea eggs to incubate). I also turn my eggs at least 5 times a day (alot more than duck or chicken eggs). Good luck with your hatch.

5. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    Milton Florida
    Yes guineas are hard to candle at 7 days, better at 14 like said earlier. 28 days for these, and when they hatch, you will see a chunk of egg that looks cracked, its not pip hole like a chicken. I almost tossed my first one, thought the egg was bad. These guys just bust right out.

6. DulcyDoll

DulcyDoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Yep! i agree with the two above me, guinea eggs do take longer to incubate, therefore longer to start forming. I candled at day 12 and saw a tiny bit of blood vessels, but reaaly didn't see much until day 14. Even if i didn't see anything forming, i still left them in till day 20, just to be sure. I had 5/12 hatch, 1 developed completely but died somewhere in the last 2 days.

Also about the hatching...they crack down most of a side of their egg! Its very different compared to chickens.

Good Luck!!!

7. monster1

monster1 Chillin' With My Peeps

one of the eggs that i checked, i rechecked. i can see a vien forming inside! it is exactly the same as the others except that it is clearly ahead of the others in devolopement(or so i think). i think this thing might actually work!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by