Guineas good for veggie garden?

chickiemama08

Hatching
11 Years
Oct 6, 2008
West Michigan
I heard guineas were good to have in the garden because they don't eat vegetation like chickens do. Is that true? I was all ready to get some and then I read they love to eat tomatoes
sad.png

All poultry will go after tomatos. They are attracted to red. So long as they have other greens to eat and room to wander they should be safe around all but young or tender plants until you start to get tomatos. I just close the gate to the garden before the plants start to make produce.

I recommend you read "Gardening with Guineas." It claims that guineas will do exactly what you have asked. As a matter of fact after my husband read it, he decided we will be getting some. We had some in the past, but he plans on doing it by the book this time around.
One member wrote a piece on her experience a while back and I was encouraged to read it. Her experience was perfectly by the book, with respects to gardening. I mean my husband told me about how to garden with guineas, but you know when something seems too good to be true? Well hearing someone's witness was good for me.
I can't wait until next spring now.

my guineas seem to prefer the weeds more then the plants

all tho they do like the swiss chard (i planted that for them anyway) and the pea pods otherwise they dont touch anything.

Back
Top Bottom