Guineas, guineas everywhere!!!!

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by TennesseeTruly, Sep 19, 2010.

1. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    We had a guinea explosion here!!! We started off with 16 guineas. That's it, just 16. They started off laying late this year. All 1 year old, first time layers. Oh my goodness, talk about population explosion!!

We have guineas coming out of our ears! Not only have I sold eggs on Ebay, I've sold eggs locally, I've sold eggs to friends, I've sold guineas to friends.

We have 25 five week old guinea keets ready to coming out from under lights this week. We have 22 guinea keets under lights that are between 3 days and 2 weeks old. We have two mama guinea hens who are each sitting on 60 guinea eggs.

We have 12 guineas that are 4 months old that we just let loose to free range with our original 16.

Guineas on the roof, Guineas on the barn, Guineas in the trees.

We are being taken over by guineassssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!

LOL!!!!!!!

2. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Wow! I'm guessing you must be pretty much grasshopper and tick-free, at least! LOL

3. TennesseeTruly

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Oh bugs don't dare tread anywhere near here. And snakes?? Other than the copperhead that killed my one gander, there are no snakes either. They take care of everything!

Thank goodness I like guineas!

Laurie

4. KZ

KZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Fountain, Colorado
    Thats pretty cool! You must have a lot of land. Your place looks absolutely amazing with all green trees and plants. Nice!

5. glenolam

glenolam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Canterbury, CT
    Dang....I wish you were closer to me! Finally after 3 years of trying we had guineas live into adulthood. This was our last try and thankfully we ended up with THREE, yes THREE keets. Alas, our 11 guineas have turned into 5 adults and 3 keets....I wish I were you!

6. PrinceSandwich

PrinceSandwich Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    You are sooo lucky! I only ever had one Guinea, and he got eaten by a fox [​IMG]

7. TennesseeTruly

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    We have 35 acres with 33 of it wooded. Its absolutely gorgeous where we live!!

I wish some of you lived closer to me too. It seems as though there is a population explosion with guineas around me as well. Everyone has them and we even have a "wild" colony of them of about 18 guineas about a mile from my house. They've survived for 2 years here and even added a bit to their numbers. I think they're living in an abandoned mobile home in the winter.

We call our guineas, "The Goonie Squad". They come to our back door, and occasionally our front door begging for treats. LOL!! They're funny to watch and I can't imagine life without them.

Laurie

8. KWAK

KWAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    haha just take them and drop them off with the wild guineas... jk lol i would never do tht [​IMG]

9. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

Send me some keets!

10. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I'm hopeing to have a bunch of keets this spring. I really enjoy my guineas. They aren't for everyone though! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by