Guineas hatching

GuineaQueen

Chirping
May 10, 2021
Lincoln Arkansas
Hey all! Ok so I had a guinea hen who was setting her clutch in the chicken house, about a week and a half into it a hen hatched her eggs. Well guinea hen got confused and decided her eggs had hatched and left the nest to compete with the hen over the chicks. She would set her eggs at night and go with the chicks in the day. So about 2 days into this I said ok I give and took the eggs to the incubator. They started hatching last night, 2 have hatched so far and I cant see well enough to see if there are anymore pips. Last time I tried this 1 hatched and the rest were shrink wrapped I think because I got impatient and pulled the hatchling. So trying not to make the same mistake this time. So my question is how long is it safe to leave the keets that have hatched before they have to be pulled?

Usually you can leave a chick in an incubator for no more than 3 days. I’m gonna guess it’s the same for keets. If you don’t wanna wait 3 days, at least wait until there are no more pips and the keets are dry.

I had 3 hatch on day 26 and the last chick I peeled out of the egg on day 27 because she was facing towards the wrong end of the egg and the feathers of her butt sticking out were dry and she way peeping loudly. I don't think she would have made it out.
I took the keets out of the incubator and into the brooder as soon as they were dry so they didn't bump the other eggs around.

Back
Top Bottom