Guineas in my "tennis court" turned garden?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Hoover67, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Hoover67

Hoover67 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Huntsville
    I have an old clay tennis court that is now a 60' x 120' garden with gravel walkways. It is enclosed by a 20' fence with the type of netting that keeps tennis balls from going through it. It is pretty predator proof now except from the flying predators. I have 12 trees and several bushes as well as lots of perennials and veges. I was wondering if I could let guineas free range in there. I also have my chicken coop and run in there but they do not free range. My two beehives are also in there as well as a small pond with fish in it. Would it be possible to let some guineas free range in there? I also have button quail in the incubator. Not sure what to do with them. I would love to let them free range there too but doubt they would stay in the garden.

Any thoughts? I have no experience with guineas!

Michele

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    The guineas would do just fine free ranging in there. They are not coop birds anyways. As for the button quail, I don't think they would stay put! They would require you to put some type of netting or wire top on that area so they wouldn't fly out. Post some pics of this, will you? I'd love to see it! [​IMG]

3. Hoover67

May 31, 2008
    Huntsville
    I will try to get a picture or two. I guess I will "have" to get some guinea eggs for the incubator! What is the incubation period?

Michele
    Figured I would have to build an aviary in the garden. I have a hexagonal bed that would make a beautiful aviary!
    [​IMG]

4. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Believe it's 27 days.

5. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Guineas would do fine, most people let them free-range around plants with very little worry.

Your quail won't stay put without a quail proof fence. The would run off and/or get eaten.

-Kim

6. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    Since you have bees you might want to rethink that... I have heard from people where they didnt have problems between the two and I have heard of people that say the guineas sit at the entrance of the bee hive and ate the bees as they came out to fly away... I have watched guineas sit by the horse piles and jump to eat the tiny nats that swarm around. It would work great for a confined area for all other reasons. My guineas eat so many bugs it is great. You just might have to put a wire cage around your hives to protect your bees and give them a chance to fly away.. Good luck. Jenn

7. Hoover67

May 31, 2008
    Huntsville
    Hmmm. Never considered the bees. The bees come out about two feet up from the ground. I could fence the outside of the beehives. Good to know.

8. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, you'll definitely want to protect the hives from the Guineas -they'll park themselves right in front and snatch them out of the air! Aside from that it sounds like a great idea!

9. Hoover67

May 31, 2008
    Huntsville
    How high do the guineas jump? In other words, how high do I need the bees to get so the guineas can't get them. I can just put a fence up and they will climb quickly to get up and over. I am so excited. This is so addictive!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by