Guineas keets coming next week

Fcarter

Songster
6 Years
Apr 11, 2017
I have 5 keets coming next week and have a few questions that I haven't found the answers to.
1. Is hay or straw ok for bedding? I worry about fires with the heat stand (not bulb type).
2. I heard once that if their water was too cold they could die. I've always used tap water temp. for chicks but should I warm their water and if so, how?
Thank you so much. I'm a bit nervous and am probably overthinking this.

I have 5 keets coming next week and have a few questions that I haven't found the answers to.
1. Is hay or straw ok for bedding? I worry about fires with the heat stand (not bulb type).
2. I heard once that if their water was too cold they could die. I've always used tap water temp. for chicks but should I warm their water and if so, how?
Thank you so much. I'm a bit nervous and am probably overthinking this.
For the first couple of weeks I recommend that you use something such as textured paper towels. It allows you to sprinkle a high protein starter feed on the bedding which helps get them started eating. It also provides a bedding that they are less likely to eat. If you want to use straw or hay, I recommend making chick grit available.

You can use tap water, just don't use cold tap water. Warm water is better for them. I set my brooder up a day ahead of time which allows the water to warm up to ambient temperatures before the keets are in the brooder.

Last edited:
For the first couple of weeks I recommend that you use something such as textured paper towels. It allows you to sprinkle a high protein starter feed on the bedding which help-s get them started eating. It also provides a bedding that they are less likely to eat. If you want to use straw or hay, I recommend making chick grit available.

You can use tap water, just don't use cold tap water. Warm water is better for them. I set my brooder up a day ahead of time which allows the water to warm up to ambient temperatures before the keets are in the brooder.
Great info. Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom