Guineas not coming out of coop after Guinea loss.

portia1

Hatching
May 19, 2016
We have four adult guineas. Last week we had 5, but the female was on a nest and I could not get her off (it was in a giant patch of waist high stinging nettle)... Though she had been coming in each night before that. We were leaving for the evening so we called the rest to the coop and closer it up and that evening she did not come back to the coop nor did she return the next day. She was not on her nest either.

After that the other guineas have hardly left the coop. They stay up high in the rafters and seem to hardly eat. Before this they would jump out the minute we opened the door, roam our property and come back each evening when we called.

I'm at a loss as to what's going on. Could they be sad she's gone? We lost another one two months ago (we have a local fox) but they didn't do this then.

We felt like one of them (assuming male) paired off with her because he would hang around the nest when she was on it. I think he's the only one who comes out now. Is the pack too small for them to feel safe? Before they would split into 2 and 3 with no issues. Any suggestions?

We give them a scoop of dry food and water in the coop every night. Should we discontinue the food so they have to come out to forage?

We have new keets coming next month as well. Thanks for any potential insight. We have had them for almost a year.

welcome-byc.gif
It is very likely that the predator is still in the area, and they are aware of it's presence.

I suspect the area is unsafe in some regard, at least your fowl believe so. Start weaning them from the feed and see what happens but just know, if the threat is real, you may lose more.

Back
Top Bottom