Guineas or Pheasants?

sara1226

Songster
Apr 15, 2015
Northern Wisconsin
I have had chickens since May, and I absolutely love them. I would really like to try having another kind of fowl in the spring, but I don't know much about them or how difficult they are to take care of. We raised all of our chickens to be hand fed treats and we can easily pick them up and hold them. Is that possible with guineas or pheasants, or are they not easily handled? I originally wanted to have some turkeys too, until I read that they can easily get diseases like black head from chickens. Not sure I'd want to worry about that all the time. I already know guineas are noisy, but are there any other issues with them?

Just curious if anyone would be willing to tell me more about what it takes to care for them or which of these they prefer and why. Thanks everyone!!

I have had chickens since May, and I absolutely love them. I would really like to try having another kind of fowl in the spring, but I don't know much about them or how difficult they are to take care of. We raised all of our chickens to be hand fed treats and we can easily pick them up and hold them. Is that possible with guineas or pheasants, or are they not easily handled? I originally wanted to have some turkeys too, until I read that they can easily get diseases like black head from chickens. Not sure I'd want to worry about that all the time. I already know guineas are noisy, but are there any other issues with them?

Just curious if anyone would be willing to tell me more about what it takes to care for them or which of these they prefer and why. Thanks everyone!!
I've raised guineas and pheasants and many other species as well. I found guineas to be more fun and interesting. Guineas have much in common with chickens, but… I found guinea chicks not as hardy; but once they are a few weeks old then they did well. Guinea hens will brood and hatch chicks, but they are not as good a parent as a broody hen. I hatched most of my guineas under broody chickens. Feeding is about the same. Guineas range over a much larger area than chickens. My guineas were fairly tame-came when called-I never tried handling them. If noise is not an issue I really think you'd like guineas over pheasants.
Pheasants are beautiful birds. They just didn't compare to guinea hens for me.

If you have any specific questions I will try to answer.

Everyday I learn something new on BYC,now I know a little bit more about guineas. I have heard they will mob or kill snakes, that puts them on a pedestal to me.

Back
Top Bottom