Guineas - scaly leg mites - how to treat

Kirsti1217

In the Brooder
Jan 1, 2020
Brown County, Indiana
I have a mixed coop of chickens and 1 guinea. Treating chickens with Nu Stock for scaly leg mites after noticing raised scales. Also cleaned the coop, switched to pine shavings from straw and coated the roosts. I can’t get a hold of the guinea long enough to treat his legs tho. Any suggestions. I was able to do it with chickens by soaking legs, wrapping in towel and then lying them on their back in my lap (several fell asleep during this swaddling foot massage session!) but a guinea is a different story. I can catch him but can’t hold long enough to wrap or really do anything with him. He’s so strong. Also freaks out if you get near when roosting. His legs look fine but I’m worried will deteriorate if I leave it be and even give them back to the chickens?

R2elk

Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Feb 24, 2013
Natrona County, Wyoming
My Coop
My Coop
I have a mixed coop of chickens and 1 guinea. Treating chickens with Nu Stock for scaly leg mites after noticing raised scales. Also cleaned the coop, switched to pine shavings from straw and coated the roosts. I can’t get a hold of the guinea long enough to treat his legs tho. Any suggestions. I was able to do it with chickens by soaking legs, wrapping in towel and then lying them on their back in my lap (several fell asleep during this swaddling foot massage session!) but a guinea is a different story. I can catch him but can’t hold long enough to wrap or really do anything with him. He’s so strong. Also freaks out if you get near when roosting. His legs look fine but I’m worried will deteriorate if I leave it be and even give them back to the chickens?
@casportpony is there something that could be sprayed on perhaps while it is on the roost?

Kirsti1217

In the Brooder
Jan 1, 2020
Brown County, Indiana
@casportpony thank you! Ive found a couple posts about that now and sounds like it would be good for the chickens too for general mite treatment. I haven’t seen any mites on them but thought I did see some in a nest box possibly :( I’ve been checking all birds thoroughly, treated the area and no signs yet. Any thoughtS on topical application (on back of neck) vs Oral?

Top Bottom